We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Indoor Waterpark for Family with Teens

Which Wisconsin Dells hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best Indoor Waterpark for Family with Teens

I am planning a winter trip to the Dells (Jan or Feb) and would like to stay at an indoor waterpark. It will be a family of four that includes two girls ages 12 & 14. I've been looking at Wilderness, Kalahari and Great Wolf but just can't decide. Kalahari is the most expensive so I'm just wondering if the extra $ is really worth it or are the others just as fun? It's just for a long weekend so we'll really only have 2 days. Any suggestions?

3rd Chaise to the...
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Indoor Waterpark for Family with Teens

Great Wolf seems geared toward younger kids.

The advantage to Kalahari is that there is also an indoor theme park and movie theaters on site. They cost extra of course, but you don't need to drive. Also, there's no need to go out into the winter weather, as all of the Kalahari complex is connected.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
605 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Indoor Waterpark for Family with Teens

Love Kalahari, but the Wilderness is typically less expensive. Wilderness is a good value and also a very large waterpark.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Indoor Waterpark for Family with Teens

I also have two girls-my 16 year old was at the Wilderness in August and my 14 year old was at Kalahari about a year ago-both of them had a blast so I don't think you can go wrong with either of these. Haven't been to Great Wolf since it was Black Wolf about 12 years ago-it was "the" place to go back then but even then I thought it was a little overrated. On the other hand, took my youngest to Chula Vista last fall which was perfectly nice but the water park is nowhere on the scale of what you're considering and she and I still had a really great time. Stick to your budget and I'm sure you'll have a great time at any of your choices.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,093 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Indoor Waterpark for Family with Teens

For better value and still fun then probably go with Wilderness, or Chula as another suggested. Kalahari though a great waterpark and full of features/extras besides is the priciest. As another poster said stick with your budget, you still can't go wrong with the other choices. Great Wolf is geared toward the younger set, more 10 and under. Not that older people can't have fun there it's just a general guideline.

Edited: 20 September 2011, 14:19
Elm Grove, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
114 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Indoor Waterpark for Family with Teens

Our teens love the Wilderness, we have been there twice in the winter. We stay in a condo at Glacier Canyon Lodge and once you are there, you do not have to step outside the building until you leave. Everything is connected by skywalks. We looked into a similar sized unit that would accommodate the 6 of us at Great Wolf and there, if I remember correctly, you do have to go outside to get to the waterpark.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Indoor Waterpark for Family with Teens

I know it isn't on your list, but I would recommend Mt. Olympus. They have a nice indoor water park along with a indoor theme park.

3rd Chaise to the...
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Indoor Waterpark for Family with Teens

Mt Olympus has multiple motels now and they are not connected. I'd be very cautious with any Mt. Olympus bookings right now based on a number of reviews from long time contributors.

8. Re: Best Indoor Waterpark for Family with Teens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 19:17