We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kalahari, Great Wolf, Or a different hotel?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Kalahari, Great Wolf, Or a different hotel?

We are thinking of doing a weekend stay in the Dells over memorial weekend. It would be two couples in the mid twenties. I've stayed at the Kalahari once about 10 years ago, when I was in my teens. I thought it was great then. But I'm just not sure if there is something better. We are basically looking for one with a good water park indoors with water rides that will keep us busy for awhile. Also it would be nice if they had a good bar or something in the hotel or walking distance.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,945 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kalahari, Great Wolf, Or a different hotel?

Wilderness

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,138 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kalahari, Great Wolf, Or a different hotel?

Wilderness or Chula Vista

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kalahari, Great Wolf, Or a different hotel?

Does the Wilderness have as good of a indoor waterpark as the Kalahari? We are huge kids at heart and LOVE the water rides :)

What makes this hotel so much better than the Kalahari? Thank you!

WI
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,138 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kalahari, Great Wolf, Or a different hotel?

I would read the reviews. Kalahari always comes first to mind, but I thought you might want to try something different. If not I don't think Kalahari will disappoint the second time around. I hear the waterparks are more "spread out" at the Wilderness. So if that's a downside for you keep that in mind.

3rd Chaise to the...
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kalahari, Great Wolf, Or a different hotel?

Bars at Kalahari are more fun and under the same roof. Also, Kalahari seems to be more cutting edge with indoor waterpark options.

Marley's is now just down the block from Wilderness.

Unless they have changed things in a remodel, the bar at Chula is kind of like a terminal with kids running through it to get from one side of the hotel to another.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Kalahari, Great Wolf, Or a different hotel?

One other question. I see that the outdoor waterpark for Kalahari opens on Memorial day. I would assume that is the same for the wilderness, but I don't see it on their website. Does anyone know?

3rd Chaise to the...
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kalahari, Great Wolf, Or a different hotel?

Most of the resorts typically open their outdoor parks the Friday of Mem weekend, unless there are weather situations to maybe do a soft open earlier.

Wisconsin Dells, WI
Level Contributor
14 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kalahari, Great Wolf, Or a different hotel?

Kalahari will open their outdoor on the 19th.The indoor and outdoor parks at Kalahari are practically right next to each other, too, which is convenient.

Wilderness is a lot more walking, the indoor ones are spread out across the property and the outdoor ones are kind of confusing to walk to as well.

Chula, the indoor is connected by a tunnel to the main resort proper, and the outdoor is accessed from the indoor park. The indoor is pretty alright, imo, but the outdoor is pretty bad actually. Just a few rides, nothing special. I really like the waterpark on a slow day, but idk if

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Kalahari, Great Wolf, Or a different hotel?

I'm not sure where you are seeing that Kalahari opens their outdoor on the 19th.... When I looked at their website it says Memorial day.

WI
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,138 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kalahari, Great Wolf, Or a different hotel?

Sometimes the websites are inaccurate or not updated too, in that case I just always make sure by calling them directly and checking. That way you know for sure.