We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wis Dells Wilderness Resort Trip Report Aug 9th-11th

Which Wisconsin Dells hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
665 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Wis Dells Wilderness Resort Trip Report Aug 9th-11th

Day 1 Friday - arrived at Wilderness Resort at 1pm. Checkin Line was only 1/2 full but still took 20min. Checkin took about 15min. We were given our wristbands, towel keys, and room keys. We're told we'd get a text with our room number when it was ready. Headed to the closest water parks. No real lines except for the Hurricane which became the girls favorite ride. Hit 2 indoor and 2 outdoor water parks this day. Got a text around 2:45pm that our room 321 was ready. A two queen bedroom with a couch seating area, two tvs, refridgerator, microwave, table with two chairs, and a balcony with two plastic chairs. After hitting the water parks some more, we cleaned up and headed to Moose Jaw Pizza and Brewery at 7pm. Crazy busy, 1 hour wait. We're told there was a bar on each of the three levels and we could order apps. Went to the third floor and ordered beer bread and spinach artichoke dip and a beer. All were yummy! We should have gone to the bottom floor with the kids, has a huge arcade and lots of tvs behind the bar. But boyfriend enjoyed seeing the brewery vats on the 3rd floor. Got seated about 45 min later on the main floor. Had a thin crust half supreme, half sausage/mushroom. Only 8 pieces, was delicious but good thing we had the apps. Slow service. About 8:40 now, drove to Timber Falls to ride to roller coaster. $6.50 per person, kids loved it but way to herky jerky for us adults, we couldn't even take the free ride he was offering since no one else was in line, felt like we had whiplash. Drove downtown, I think mostly paid parking down there, fed the meter and walked along Main Street. A lot of tshirt shops with all the same stuff (you pick a shirt/sweatshirt then have to stand in line to get what you wanted screenprinted on it), fudge and candy shops, Ripleys, Haunted house, paint ball, arcades, etc. Girls got a caramel apple that they cut in slices for them and some flip flops. Back to the hotel as everyone is exhausted.

Day 2 Saturday - breakfast in room (we used the microwave for oatmeal and bagels), headed out to waterparks we hadn't hit the first day. Loved the Blackhole ride! Around lunchtime, headed into town to go on the Jetboat Adventures ride. We chose this over the Wild Thing because we read a review on TripAdvisor that said the Wild Thing involved a bus ride and had a lot of no wake zones during the ride. We stopped at Mary's Place (across from Moose Jaw Pizza) for Chicago hotdogs, Italian combo sandwich and cheesecurds. Good quick stop. We were doing the lower dells tour so the dock was at the Junction of 12, 13 & 16. Easy parking. They will not take reservations and will not tell you when the last boat left. She will just say boats leave every 40 minutes. Fun tour for teenagers who don't want to hear a lot of talking from the tour guide but we got a little bit of history and scenic views of rock formations. We did get wet but we didn’t seem as wet as the boat that came in before us. People on the sides and front rows got way more wet. But I think the drivers can definitely get whoever they want wet. Would definitely try the upper dells tour next time. Back to the Wilderness waterparks for the afternoon. We took the FREE hotel RED LINE shuttle to the pontoon for a FREE ride over to the Wilderness on the Lake resort. DEFINITELY recommend this! The shuttle driver tells the pontoon driver when he is dropping people off so it's a pretty quick turnaround. Only a 7 min ride or so. Our pontoon driver wasn't picking up anyone so he took us over towards the Tommy Barlett show that had just started. Awesome! We tipped both ways the shuttle driver and the pontoon driver. The WOTL bar and infinity pool overlooking the lake was AMAZING! This is a free must do when staying at the Wilderness! Then we learned that you can sign up for a free pontoon ride around the lake that happens every day at 4:30pm. We didn’t have time to do it but would have! Back to shower and head into town for dinner. We were going to try the High Rock Café that came highly recommended but were too hungry to wait an hour so went into the Dells Distillery that was also recommended on Yelp. More of a bar like atmostphere but were able to get seated right away upstairs where the girls played pool while we waited for food. Appetizer was the Torta tots YUM YUM YUM! We shared the Beef Torta Sandwich, the girls shared the Distillery Burger and we ordered more tots... the Tot-Cho's... good but not as awesome as the Torta Tots. Time to walk off dinner. We stopped to watch a street performer throwing fire sticks. Then paid $5 to shoot 50 paintballs. Saw lots of bachelor/bachelorette parties out. Did some random shopping then back to the hotel.

Day 3 Sunday Last Day - breakfast in room again, packed up, was able to check out by leaving keys in room. I called the front desk and they said checkout was automatic at 11am. Rainy today, girls and dad went back to the waterparks (they do not cut your wristbands), indoor lines long, outdoor lines short! And it wasn't too cold so they got a lot of the outdoor rides in. I went shopping. Traffic was horrible as everyone seemed to be checking out. Spent a lot of money at the Market Square cheese shop for gifts (cheese, brats, salsa, jalapeno mustard, lots of cool things here). I stopped at the La Canasta Mexicana convenience store because I read on Yelp they have authentic tacos and burritos. I got a carne asada burrito with everything (including pinto beans which I would leave out next time). Good and cheap! Definitely more convenience store than restaurant. Only 4 chairs for people to sit and eat at a counter. Picked up the family and took them to eat at Ravina Bay Bar & Grill (only a few minutes from Wilderness). It is on Lake Delton right across from where the Tommy Bartlett show is. Plenty of seating outside at 2:30pm. We got to see the skiers practicing for the TB show. The food was decent (Spinach Artichoke BLT, Buffalo Chix Flatbread, and Tomato Soup with a small big of Cheese Sandwich). Time to head back to MSP. Kids had a great time, so much to do and see, will have to come back again!

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,104 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wis Dells Wilderness Resort Trip Report Aug 9th-11th

fun to read sounds like a great trip, thanks for sharing.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
79 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wis Dells Wilderness Resort Trip Report Aug 9th-11th

Wow! Thank you so much for posting this. It really helps me, as I am hoping to take the family to the Wilderness this summer. Great to hear some restaurant suggestions I hadn't heard of yet.

3. Re: Wis Dells Wilderness Resort Trip Report Aug 9th-11th

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2015, 07:15