We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Less Busy Time To Visit

Monroe, Louisiana
Level Contributor
191 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Less Busy Time To Visit

I'm considering a trip with our 5 year old and almost 2 year old sons to a water park in the Dells. First time ever we would be visiting. I was wondering if there's a time that's a less busy time to visit the parks there? I'd like to go before Thanksgiving basically.

any ideas on what time to try and go would be much appreciated - thanks ahead of time for any help!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
458 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Less Busy Time To Visit

Hi-

Is your 5 year old in school? Basically any time during weekdays once school is in session tend to be less crowded. Also, the hotels tend to run specials when they think they will be the least busy, so look on their webpages for dates specials are valid.

There used to be a 2 day school holiday in October for a teacher's conference, but that conference does not appear to happen anymore. Mid-to late October is generally the peak leaf turn, so late September/early October and then again in November could be less crowded. However, there are lots of nice state parks in the area, so going during fall color change would be nice too.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,140 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Less Busy Time To Visit

first timers I recommend a summer visit when you can visit Noah's Ark. Late August is a good time with many heading back to school, some earlier than others.

Monroe, Louisiana
Level Contributor
191 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Less Busy Time To Visit

Awesome - late august would work fairly well for a trip at this time. Which park might be a good one to visit at that time of year if you guys don't mind me asking?

Thanks for the input - this really helps!

Monroe, Louisiana
Level Contributor
191 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Less Busy Time To Visit

Our 5 year is starting school this year in Kindergarten - but we're ok maybe taking him out for a day (like come up on a Friday night - and stay the weekend and come home on a Monday..) - so we thought going after most schools start would be a good idea.

Thanks for all the ideas and input - looking forward to hopefully putting together a short trip to let them have some fun there!

Any other ideas, please feel free to send - thanks so much!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
458 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Less Busy Time To Visit

Since your school year visit would be limited to a weekend, like Hatchpal recommends I think visiting in August to enjoy the outdoor parks would be a good idea. Keep in mind though that schools here do start back after labor day although things like athletic practices seem to already be going which probably limits some families vacation times to earlier in the summer.

I haven't been there but it seems like a lot of people on this board recommend Great Wolf for younger children. I like the Wilderness a lot, but it is bigger and divided up into a bunch of smaller waterparks which may not be the best for young children.

Monroe, Louisiana
Level Contributor
191 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Less Busy Time To Visit

needstogetaway: In late august , is it still warm enough outdoors to goto an outdoor water park?

Thanks again!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
458 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Less Busy Time To Visit

According to weather underground, average highs last week in August are 78-79 degrees, average lows in the low to mid 50s. Last year it was in the 90s that week.

We've had a slightly wacky summer with some cool days, but also some nice ones and a few down right hot days. It's storming right now. You never can predict the weather, but you can always go indoors if it is cooler than average. At least that time of year you have the possibility of going outside since the outdoor waterparks generally close labor day.

WI
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,140 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Less Busy Time To Visit

there are a lot of out of staters that start school earlier that come to the Dells, late August is good and early in the week (non weekends) are always advantageous times to visit. Noah's Ark is the best park for every age. They've done so much for the younger set now in previous years it really is an experience to remember for the whole family. Even if some haven't started school yet it's close so many do not opt to travel so close to school starting soon either.

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
465 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Less Busy Time To Visit

We found the water at Noah's Ark absolutely freezing when we were there last August. It didn't bother my kids (ages 11,11,10 then), but I thought it was awful. Personally I didn't see a whole lot there for small kids other than a neat looking submarine thingy.

For the ages of your kids, I would recommend Great Wolf. Everything is close together there, and the waterpark is geared towards small kids.

WI
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,140 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Less Busy Time To Visit

when we took our little kids years ago they had a blast and we were able to enjoy a ton and that was before the advent of the newer sections devoted to the younger set. I don't remember freezing water but then when it's warm the cool water is refreshing and what we look forward to in the heat of summer. If there's cooler days certainly wet suits are available with deposit as well.

reviews of Noah's so you can decide for yourself:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60403-d10…

If you go later in the year and want age appropriate Great Wolf is a great option.

It depends if you want the indoor waterpark experience or the outdoor one, I would choose based on what your family has a preference for.