We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wild Horses

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Wild Horses

I'd love to see wild horses run wild? Where would I go?

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,793 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wild Horses

Wyoming is home to about 6,000 wild horses. Here are some places I've seen them:

1. in the Red Desert, between Rock Springs and Rawlins.

2. in the Muskrat Basin-Rock Creek Mountain area, stretching from Jeffrey City to the Gas Hills.

3. east of Cody, in the McCullough Peaks area.

4. in the Pryor Mountains. Go 2 miles east from Lovell on 14A and turn left onto 37, then 17 miles to Devils Canyon Overlook. Or if you have 4WD, instead go 13 miles on 37 to a road marked with a sign that says “Tillets Fish-Rearing Station.” Take that road to the Bad Pass Highway to try to view these horses.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wild Horses

Thanks for the info. I'm going to have alot of fun putting this bucket-list trip together!!!

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,793 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wild Horses

Here's another place in Wyoming I had forgotten about:

flaminggorgecountry.com/Pilot-Butte-Wild-Hor…

It's actually pretty easy to find and the road is real good.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wild Horses

Thanks Bill! I may hit you up again for info as it looks like you know your stuff!

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,793 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wild Horses

While they're a kick to watch, frankly, mustangs are just horses. Wild horses running across the range and domestic horses running across a pasture look pretty much the same. I ride a gelding that was once a mustang, and I'm sure he looks the same now as when he ran wild (although he's now missing a few of the original parts). So I don't completely understand what all the fuss is about. But I hope you enjoy your visit.

6. Re: Wild Horses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 09:16