We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cody powwow

London
Level Contributor
77 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
cody powwow

We booked an overnight stay in Cody for the 18th June,travelling from Lake Lodge in Yellowstone and I just found out that there is the Powwow starting the next day(bad planning, I know) !!!

We need to go back to Canyon Lodge YNP for the 19th and I wanted to go via the Chief Joseph scenic Byway,but of course I would love to see some of the Powwow.Can someone please tell me how long does it take to go back that way and if it is really worth it instead of staying longer for the Powwow?The Powwow starts at 12.00 and maybe we can only stay for 2 hours before getting back either way.

Thanks

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,654 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cody powwow

I don't remember how many days you have in Yellowstone, but could you change one night from Yellowstone to Cody in order to have more time for the powwow? I don't remember just how long the trip would take over the Chief Joseph but I certainly wouldn't want to be rushed. I thought it was a beautiful drive.

London
Level Contributor
77 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cody powwow

We are staying 1 night at Lake Lodge, then 1 night in Cody, then 2 nights at Canyon Lodge and this was dictated by the availability of the lodges in mid June. Another possibility is maybe travel via the Chief Joseph from Lake Lodge to Cody , watch the rodeo, and travel back to Canyon via the most direct route after. I checked the travelling time with Google maps, but by experience I found that this is usually not very realistic.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cody powwow

we were limited on time so had to skip the "scenic" drive to YNP from Cody. If you want a quicker route to YNP from COdy in order to see some of the pow wow, you can head straight there to the east entrance. Only about an hour's drive to the gate. An additional hour inside the park to canyon. Can stop there in Hayden Valley early evening to scope for wildlife (that timing does not include possible wildlife sightings along the way, of course) Just another possibility -

London
Level Contributor
77 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cody powwow

Thank you wings1980, yes we are probably going back to Canyon through the east entrance.

Sorry about my ignorance, but are the gates always open? And is it safe to drive in darkness inside the park ( apart from taking care of animal crossings)? We were in Namibia last july and the gates were closed by sunset, so that meant that if you were late you were basically in trouble and it got really dark by 4pm , nobody was allowed to drive at night inside the park apart from the rangers( I suppose this was because of the lions and leopards). I suppose this won't be the case at YNP!!

5. Re: cody powwow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2010, 05:17