We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cody vs. Virginia City

Rochester NY
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cody vs. Virginia City

During our Yellowstone trip starting the end of next month, we have time to go to either Cody Wyoming or Virginia City Montana. They both sound great! We are two adults. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of both places? Thank you.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,505 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cody vs. Virginia City

Virginia City is a restored mining town in a pretty setting. If you have an interest in mining of that era, this would be a good stop.

Cody is, while certainly touristy, the commercial center for a large number of cattle ranches. So imo it has more of an authentic western feel to it. It also has the Buffalo Bill Historical Center, which are by themselves worth the visit. And while in Cody, you can go to the rodeo, visit Hart Mountain historical site and go look for wild horses. So my vote would be for Cody.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,468 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cody vs. Virginia City

Have never been to Virginia City but have been to Cody. Cody has the Buffalo Bill museums which are world class and if you are there after June 1 then the rodeo begins on that date. There is also a great music show- Dan Miller's music review at night. It is a nice drive out the east entrance and you can stop at the Buffalo Bill dam and near Cody you will find wild mustangs. Cody has some nice hotels and decent restaurants. We love staying at the Cody Cowboy Village.

Rochester NY
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cody vs. Virginia City

Thank you! Cody it is! And I hadn't heard about that historical site -- good tip.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,505 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cody vs. Virginia City

Heart Mountain was a large internment site for Japanese-Americans during WWII, a short drive east of Cody. There's not a lot there now except a visitors center, but it's worth the visit. Many of those interred families settled in that part of Wyoming when the war ended and they were released, and there are a fair number of Japanese-American cowboys and ranchers in the basin east of Cody. Some of the young men left the camps and entered military service, joining the 442nd Infantry Regiment, composed of Japanese-Americans, and which fought in Italy. Ironically, while their families were held at camps like Heart Mountain, the 442nd became the most decorated unit in the history of the United States Army.

Edited: 22 April 2013, 03:36
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,468 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cody vs. Virginia City

Thanks TetonBill for the info and reminder about this bit of Wyoming history. The owners of the Cody Cowboy Village told us about this the last time we were in Cody.

Rochester NY
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cody vs. Virginia City

Thanks to TetonBill and PeachBelle. We have been talking about this trip to YS and GTs for a long time and somehow managed to pull it together in the last two weeks. We are also going to the Badlands and Mount Rushmore on this trip. Other recommendations for attractions, restaurants, etc. gratefully appreciated.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,468 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cody vs. Virginia City

You will enjoy the Black Hills of SD also. Besides the Badlands and Mt. Rushmore be sure and check out Deadwood and see Adam's House museum and Mt. Moriah Cemetery and also do the wildlife loop and Iron Mt. Road in Custer SP. For great info and a detailed map check out the online travel guide at-

www.travelsd.com

Do you have reservations in place for the Black Hills, Yellowstone and the Tetons?

Yellowstone is huge- you will see lots of wildlife babies at the end of May. We've been twice at the end of May- weather can be iffy- so bring warm clothes.

Let us know if you have more questions.

Rochester NY
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cody vs. Virginia City

Thanks PeachBelle for the great information and the website link! Literature ordered....At this late date we were lucky to get reservations at the Old Faithful Inn and also inside theTetons, as our dates were flexible and it was early. We are all set in SD and Cody too! As for the weather, might we need snow boots? (!) or are just hiking boots and sneakers OK at this time of year? I hear they're getting lots of spring snow....

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
20,079 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cody vs. Virginia City

I would go with hiking boots and/or sneakers, but have jackets/wind layer, maybe a fleece vest, lightweight gloves, fleece headband or hat, sun hat, sun glasses and sunscreen. LOL! In Yellowstone those layers could all be used in a 1 or 2 hour period. I've worn a fleece headband under a sunhat in late May. Pretty dorky looking but it was cold and windy but very sunny!

Pam

Rochester NY
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cody vs. Virginia City

Pam, I've got all those things, living in upstate NY! I can tell this won't be a light suitcase.........Thank you, Patrice