We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Cody

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
259 reviews
Save Topic
One day in Cody

Hi Guys, my husband and I will be in Cody for two nights in September (11th and 12th) We will be coming in from Old Faithful area in Yellowstone and plan to take the Beartooth Highway as far as Rock Creek Vista and then backtrack and come in to Cody via the Chief Joseph Highway. I am allocating pretty much the whole day to do this drive, so that leaves us with one day in Cody. I gather that the Buffalo Bill Historical Centre is a ‘must see’, but how long should we allow for this? Is the Old Town Trail worth visiting? I quite like living museums and history in general, so would these two attractions be the best to see? Would we get both done in one day? Is there anything else we should try and see? Thanks in advance!

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,523 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in Cody

>how long should we allow for this?

There are 5 museums in the complex, each devoted to a separate subject. Some folks take 2 fulls days to see it all, but if you're short on time, I suppose that half a day would allow you to see a large part of it.

>Is there anything else we should try and see?

If you have an evening, catch the rodeo. Also, you might want to walk around in the Irma Hotel, which has a lot of history. Bill Cody built the hotel and named it after his daughter. The bar in the dining room is quite ornate and was a gift to Bill Cody from the queen of England.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in Cody

Thanks for the super quick reply Bill! I hope to eat in the restaurant in the Irma Hotel on one of our nights, so I will have a good explore of the hotel then. I thought the Rodeo was finished by the time we get there (Sept 11th?)

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,523 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in Cody

I didn't see your dates, sorry. Yes, the rodeo will be done by then. If you have some extra time, there's a real pretty drive our route 291, which starts at the west end of Cody and heads southwest into some real pretty ranch country.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,523 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day in Cody

btw, Dan Miller's evening western music show will be running through 9/25 this year. It's a great show, in a theater right across the street from the Irma.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day in Cody

Hi,

There are some really nice stores with genuine high quality native Indian and Western pieces for sale. Most of them are off Sheridan Av and easy to stroll around. Some really nice galleries as well. Of course most of the really attractive stuff were too expensive and too bulky for us to carry back home but it was nice to roam around.

Interestingly I found the prices about 10% cheaper than Jackson Hole. We ended up buying a Pendleton rug which we really liked at Jackson Lake Lodge shop and it was about $50 cheaper.

I think after seeing the BBHC you won't find the Old Town Trail very exciting.

I really liked this piece if the link works :

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphot…

Cheers

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
20,162 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day in Cody

I usually move thru museums pretty quickly when I am solo. I was at the BBHC recently and spent 3 hours there covering only 3 of the 5 museums. I skipped the firearms and Plains Indian museums and did the Buffalo Bill Museum pretty quickly. I spent the most time in the Yellowstone ecosystem museum and the next amount of time in the art gallery. I have been there before but it has been a number of years. I did watch a raptor presentation in the garden area as well.

I agree a half a day will probably get you thru most of it.

BTW, altho you will be partially thru your trip, there is a nice clothing outlet across the street and down a block or so from the BBHC. I recently bought a jacket online at what was a sale price (and yes I had been looking at it at the retail price) that was cheaper there by $5 or $6, so a very good price IMO. ($72 instead of the regular $99).

Pam

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day in Cody

Thanks for all the replies guys, Supratik, was that lamp in Cody Cowboy Village? We're staying there and I think i've seen it in pictures I've seen online!

Dobby, I do love a bargain and I am lucky in that my husband LOVES shopping too! Everything always seems so cheap to us anyway in the US compared to Ireland, so we normally like to fit in a little shopping.

I think I will take the advice on Board and just do the BBHC and not worry about the Old Town Trail. We will be coming towards the end of a busy holiday with a lot of driving and it's no harm to take the odd easy day and indulge in a bit of retail therapy!

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One day in Cody

Hi NCMC,

Spot on !!

I really loved the decor of Cody Cowboy Village. I wanted to have that lamp in my living room!! Petra at reception was very helpful. She actually rang the shop but sadly they had run out of stock. We did visit that shop and ended up buying something else !! Some of the paintings, especially of the horses, were stunning.

I usually don't like to shop and my wife had given up on me but when travelling to far-off land I'm always looking for a memento which won't break my bank.

Happy travel.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
20,162 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One day in Cody

I think the Old Trail thing is just past the Cody Cowboy Village. Not right next door but on the road just past the motel so you can take a look if you have extra time. I think walking downtown might be more fun. BTW, even though I was looking for the motel I missed it when coming from Cody. It is about .5 of a mile past the WalMart stoplight and the next driveway past the motel sign with a bear on it.

The outlet is Sierra Trading Post. You can check out their website to see if anything interests you. I ~think~ there is some sort of discount if you show the museum brochure and spend a certain amount so do the museum first.

Pam

North Carolina
Level Contributor
13 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One day in Cody

If you are in Cody in the evening, check on the Cody Cattle Company dinner show. It's right beside the Cowboy Village, and its a buffet dinner and REALLY good music. It's a great value, too! www.thecodycattlecompany.com