We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route: Cody to Devils Tower

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Best route: Cody to Devils Tower

My wife and I are planning a trip of the NPs in July. We'll be visiting Galcier, Yellowstone and Grand Teton and Jackson. We plan to stay in Cody, WY on our trip East to Devils Tower, Mt Rushmore, etc. I'd like to know which would be the best route, either through Sheridan or through Buffalo. We'll probably be spending the night so I'm interested in accommodations, attractions and dining. Also my wife is a little skitterish about heights so I'd also be interested in knowing which would be the better route for her over the Big Horn Mountains? Thank you.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best route: Cody to Devils Tower

> I'd like to know which would be the best route, either through Sheridan or through Buffalo. We'll probably be spending the night so I'm interested in accommodations, attractions and dining.

Buffalo is a small town, but has a lot of western stores and a great historic hotel, the Occidental. It has a good dining room and live music in the saloon a couple of nights each week.

http://www.occidentalwyoming.com/

Sheridan is much larger, with more variety in shopping and restaurants. The Mint Bar is worth a stop. We generally stay at the Best Western, which is an easy walk to the downtown.

>Also my wife is a little skitterish about heights so I'd also be interested in knowing which would be the better route for her over the Big Horn Mountains?

The best would be 16. 14 would be a close second best. 14A would be a bad idea for your wife.

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best route: Cody to Devils Tower

Thanks Teton Bill. Sounds like Buffalo, Wy it is. I'll also try for lodgings at the Occidental or , at least, stop in for a meal.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best route: Cody to Devils Tower

If you plan to overnight in Buffalo, I highly recommend the Occidental, but try to reserve a room that's not over the saloon. Have dinner in their restaurant (formerly a bank - you can be seated in the old bank vault) and look for the several bullet holes in the saloon's bar. The entertainment in the saloon is first-rate. The cafe next to the hotel is a good place for breakfast.

Edited: 11 January 2014, 22:10
LAKEWOOD RANCH
Level Contributor
17 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best route: Cody to Devils Tower

I have a similar question. We also will be traveling in July. My wife and I will be going from Yellowstone to Cody, and then on to Devils Tower, Mt Rushmore and the Badlands. After leaving Cody, we were planning to head north to the Little Big Horn National Memorial. Any advice on this side trip? Also, it appears it might be better to come back to Sheridan or Buffalo (before heading east to Devils Tower) rather than heading east in Montana because it appears there aren't many hotels in Montana to stop at along the way. Any advice on this?

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best route: Cody to Devils Tower

>it appears there aren't many hotels in Montana to stop at along the way.

That's true. Route 212 east from LBH goes through the Crow Reservation and then through open ranchlands, which is why eastern Montana and Wyoming is called The Big Empty, great scenery but with few motels along the way.

>appears it might be better to come back to Sheridan or Buffalo

Yes, if you're concerned about having places to overnight along the way. A nice detour out of Buffalo (or you can also connect to it from Sheridan) is route 16 over to Gillette; great scenery and generally good wildlfe.

Where are you from?

Edited: 19 January 2014, 19:01
LAKEWOOD RANCH
Level Contributor
17 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best route: Cody to Devils Tower

Thanks Teton Bill. We are currently retired and living in Florida, having moved here from the Midwest and then Baltimore. If we were to stay a night in Sheridan or Buffalo, which would you recommend? Based on your earlier post, it sounds like Buffalo would be a more interesting stop.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best route: Cody to Devils Tower

Buffalo is certainly interesting, but it's a lot smaller than Sheridan. So if you want to spend hours shopping and strolling the downtown, stick to Sheridan. If you're just doing an overnight, Buffalo (which has a downtown just a few blocks long) would be fine. There's also a great little museum and original homesteaders cabin at the town hall, a very short walk from the Occidental.

LAKEWOOD RANCH
Level Contributor
17 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best route: Cody to Devils Tower

Thanks again. Yes, right now it is just an overnight and Buffalo and the Occidental Hotel sound like they may be a perfect fit. We're not shoppers -- just looking for a nice place that would be a little different experience.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
48 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best route: Cody to Devils Tower

Can your confirm 14A is the same as 14ALT (google map)

Thanks.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best route: Cody to Devils Tower

>Can your confirm 14A is the same as 14ALT (google map)

Yep.