We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beartooth best direction?

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
164 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Beartooth best direction?

We are planning a circular day trip from Cody. We we planning going up the 120 to Red Lodge then west on the Beartooth returning on the Chief Joseph to Cody. Is this the best way round or better in the neither direction? Or does it make no odds?

Thanks

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,604 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beartooth best direction?

The Beartooth is a beautiful drive in both directions. If I had to choose one direction, though, I'd do it counter-clockwise, as you've described.

One change to consider: instead of 120 out of Cody, you could take 14A, then left on 294, then right on 72 (where you hit your original route). I like 294 for the open scenery and like the views as the road goes north pointed straight at the Beartooth Mountains. There's also less repeating of road with this route as you return to Cody via the CJH. But you can't go wrong regardless of your route.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
164 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beartooth best direction?

Ok thanks. Helpful as ever. 294 looks good.

Cheers

3. Re: Beartooth best direction?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2015, 06:17