We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advise on Jackson - Denver driving route

Hofheim Germany
Level Contributor
132 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Advise on Jackson - Denver driving route

We are spending 10 days(3 jackson, 5 Yellowstone, 2Grand Teton NP)leaving Grand Teton NP on 24JL07 and need to be back in Denver for a Family wedding on 27JL07. We have 3 nights open and would appreciate some suggestions on which would be the most scenic route over to Denver.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advise on Jackson - Denver driving route

Hi Hofheim

Suppose you are leaving from Jackson. If you have 3 nights I would not bother for the drive but leave Jackson and drive for about 7-8 hours which brings you to Laramie. Spend the night here and drive first thing next morning to Rocky Mountains NP and stay the other two nights. Most amazing NP. Then drive the short distance to Denver july 27 for the wedding.If you start very early you can drive Jackson-RMNP in one day. Most direct drive will be Jackson-Rock Springs and I 80. A more beautiful drive will be through Moran Juncktion-Dubois and Lander.

Tet

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,926 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advise on Jackson - Denver driving route

You might decide from Tet's reply that there isn't much between Jackson and Denver, and you would be right.

If you head out from Moran and want a break in the drive I'd suggest Casper as the place to head to. I like it, it is a very nice little town.

If you want a little bit more relaxed than the 9-10 hour day Tet suggested then head south from Jackson on 89 to Afton WY, stop at the cheese factory store along the way for some curd cheese. Then in Montpelier ID you can stop at the Oregon/California Trail Center and see a portion of the original pioneer trail. Then head over to Kemmerer WY stopping along the way at the Fossil Butte Natl Mon and at a rock shop in town for some fossils. Heading to Green River then just east of that turn south on 191 to Vernal passing Flaming Gorge Resevoir and Dam.

Spend the night in Vernal and go to the Dinosaur Museum in town. Go east from Vernal to Steamboat Springs and then over to Granby and Rocky Mt Natl Park. You can stay in Granby or Grand Lake areas and then have the next day to explore the Park or continue on to Estes Park returning the next day to see more of the park. I've never done more than a day in the park at a time, though I always love the views.

I kind of like that trip, I might just decide to do it myself.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advise on Jackson - Denver driving route

We also did the trip Kbec advised through Flaming Gorge and Vernal.

Flaming Gorge is amazing with its deep blue water and the red rocks Often overlooked by visitors. The descend to Vernal also is scenic. In Vernal the Dinosaur Quarry is still closed till further notice.. So if you decide to take this route, which I also can recommend. First day GTNP-Vernal-Second day Vernal-RMNP and on.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,926 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advise on Jackson - Denver driving route

Dinosaurs in Vernal can be a bit confusing. There is the "Dinosaur Natl Monument" just outside of town, whose visitors center as Tet has said is closed. You can still visit the rest of the park.

However there is also the "Utah Field house of Natural History State Park". This museum is in the heart of town and is very interesting. It features dinosaurs found nearby and is a must if you're into that kind of thing.

5. Re: Advise on Jackson - Denver driving route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 01:20