We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Jackson to West Yellowstone???

Which Jackson hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
321 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Drive from Jackson to West Yellowstone???

What is the drive like from Jackson to West Yellowstone entrance in the December. Is the road usually open? Do you need chains? (if that's what you call them in the US)

Thanks, thinking of driving around to see the Wolf and grizzly centre. Is it worth it?

Thanks all

You are all being a great help.

Aussie Visitor

alabama
Level Contributor
371 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Jackson to West Yellowstone???

one of the locals can confirm but i think you have to go across the teton pass & up thru idaho. the road thru yellowstone would be closed at that time. i'm betting that drive in the winter would be over 3 hours depending on weather & assuming the teton pass is open.

i've seen the wolf/grizzly centre in the summer but are you sure it's open in december? if i had a day to kill i'd probably spend it in the jackson area rather than making that drive. ideas i would consider would be to take the granite hot springs snowmobile excursion, if you don't ski, go tubing at snow king, or just ride on the road that runs behind the elk refuge looking at wildlife. there are elk, mule deer, bighorn sheep, buffalo, coyotes, eagles, etc. seen on that drive.

US
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Jackson to West Yellowstone???

Yes, I believe that entrance would be closed that time of the year. I was in Jackson in mid April one year and it was still closed then. The drive around to the open entrance was a long one. I found the long drive worth it, but others might disagree. I'm not sure about the wolf and grizzly centre, I just drove through portions of the park. I think if you were to stay a night or two, it would be worth it. I was short on time and made the trip there and back to jackson in one day, which was a lot of driving.

kari

3. Re: Drive from Jackson to West Yellowstone???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 11:20