We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jackson in late July with my 3 kids and wife

Which Jackson hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego
Level Contributor
177 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Jackson in late July with my 3 kids and wife

My family and I are excited to visit Jackson, Grand Tetons NP in mid July. I have a 3 year old, 5 year old, and 7 year old traveling with my wife, and I and we are looking for fun and adventures Jackson and Grand Tetons. We will be in the area for 4 days and are looking for trip ideas that will enhance our experience. We want to use our time in the best possible way, and are an adventurous family looking for the best use of our time. I am looking for your input on anything and am looking for detail suggestions on the following areas:

1- best places to visit

2-best family hikes in the area

3-places to eat

4-best places to water river rafting (company to recommend)

5-best scenic horse rides that are family friendly (company name)

6-best places to fish or guide to recommend (what do we need for gear and equipment)

7. unique shops or places of interest

8. places to rent bikes and places to ride them.

9. any other ideas you can suggest : )

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,709 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jackson in late July with my 3 kids and wife

My best advice would be to drive to Yellowstone and see Old Faithful for a day! Nothing like it!

Hikes in the Jenny Lake area are great.. you can take a boat across the lake and then hike to Inspiration Point.

With a 3 and 5 year old.. many raft and horse companies won't take kids that young. You will have to check.

Visit www.nps.gov/grte for information on Teton Park in links to other activities.

Dornan's rents sports stuff and has some good food.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,886 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jackson in late July with my 3 kids and wife

Barker-Ewing does raft trips out of Jackson/GT but don't know how young they will take kids. In Jackson we like the Gunbarrel for something nice but affordable. In Yellowstone I would see Old Faithful and Artist point. Hope you enjoy your trip.

Las Vegas, NV
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Jackson in late July with my 3 kids and wife

A good activity that covers both food and entertainment is one of the chuckwagons. The two best options are Bar-J Wranglers and The Bar T5. They both serve dinner and a show. Bar T5 has a covered wagon ride and some excitement for the kids. Bar-J has some good music. Both are great evenings.

A good place to visit during the day is Snow King ski resort. If you go to the website, you can see all the summer activities they have, but it is fun just to ride the chair lift to the top and have lunch up there or hike around. They also have an alpine slide that can be fun. It is right there in Jackson, too. Another good things is Teton Village and riding the tram, but it is a little pricier from what I remember. Boat rides on any of the lakes are great too.

North of Jackson, there is a small museum for the Elk Refuge and in that same general area is a fish hatchery which is something that totally rocks if you're a kid.

4. Re: Jackson in late July with my 3 kids and wife

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 00:17