We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route

Which Jackson hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,750 posts
384 reviews
Save Topic
Best route

What is the best route from Jackson to Billings, Montana? How long will it take? Thanks

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best route

I don't know the best route but got the following distance and times on Google Maps:

I-90 E (going north west of YNP via Victor and West Yellowstone, to I-5)

357 mi 7 hours

US-26 E and WY-789 N

406 mi 8 hours

http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=sea+lion+caves&fb=1&gl=us&hq=sea+lion+caves&hnear=Oregon&cid=0,0,7893911813490786591&ei=KpK-S6KMMs-MnQeJpPyPCg&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CAwQnwIwAA

Edited: 09 April 2010, 04:00
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best route

Imo fastest will be via Moran-Fishing Bridge-Cody-Billings. Hard to give drivingtimes because of traffic and slow driving between Jackson and Fishing Bridge. Count on 7-8 hours.

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best route

Teton Pass and US-20 to West Yellowstone and then US-191 through Big Sky to Bozeman and I-90. Skips Yellowstone (if you have already been there) so roads are much faster. About seven hours to Billings traffic and construction willing. Because it is more freeway with a little hedging on the speed limit it might still net out under seven hours. This is best fast route but not best scenic route.

I find it hard to believe but GoogleMaps says straight up through the park and over Beartooth Pass is 6-1/2 hours, But that would be the best scenic route for sure!

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best route

Sequim, the two routes GM showed me, posted earlier, excluded going through YNP. So, curious, I "pulled" one route to traverse YNP and that one said 5.5 hours rather than 6.5 hours. Go figure. :)

MapQuest showed, through Cody, 6.5 hours.

Good luck, CeCe! :)

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best route

Yeah. experience is telling me they are all pretty optimistic for speed. MapQuest is saying 6.5hrs for the outside the park route...which could be but is even lower than Google. In summer with tourist traffic trying to make the stated times could be really frustrating.

I think if I was in a hurry I would go around Yellowstone If I wanted to drive though Yellowstone (assuming already spent time there and just driving) I would leave early in the morning before other visitor are about and go out north entrance to Livingston and freeway. If I did not care at all about time (and weather was clear) I would go US-212/Beartooth Pass...mostly slower because I would be stopping so often to take pictures.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,750 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best route

Thanks to all for your replies. I will have to research this one and see what is best/fastest/scenic????

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best route

I think the best route goes through Seattle, Anchorage and Jasper. :^)

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best route

I'd leave Anchorage out; too much backtracking. :)

BTW, the drive there (and, yes, back) is fascinating.

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best route

If you took the Stewart-Cassiar route up and back through Fort Nelson and Grande Prarie to Edmonton and if you went to Anchorage by way of Glennallen and back through Fairbanks there wouldn't be too much backtracking. :^)

I'd love to do that some time but I'd want 2 months or more to enjoy it.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best route

Yeah, I know, just a "throwaway" line about backtracking. :)

Agree, a long trip and need to take time en route to absorb.