We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental CRAZY - Can I Walk?

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
249 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental CRAZY - Can I Walk?

Was planning on renting a car next week while in Jackson. Staying at Homewood for 7 nights and just hanging out while my husband does some fishing float trips for 3 of those days. The car rental prices are over $100/day! Will we be able to walk to everything downtown...maybe we'll rent a car for one day to see GTNP. Thanks.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,580 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental CRAZY - Can I Walk?

I was just in Jackson and yes, you can walk everywhere downtown to most restaurants, shops etc. There also is a city bus service that I saw but did not use (we were only in Jackson for lunch!) http://www.startbus.com/default.htm

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental CRAZY - Can I Walk?

Have you Googled Jackson, WY bus service? For example (and there seem to be more)...

http://www.startbus.com/

http://www.jacksonholealltrans.com/

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
249 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental CRAZY - Can I Walk?

Thanks - with all of the research I've done, can't believe I never saw the bus service.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental CRAZY - Can I Walk?

I cannot resist saying, that's because we are a car society and don't think of buses. MY SO is and has always been a fan of buses. I like my car. LOL

BTW, she's from Cleveland, now Seattle for many years.

Superior, Colorado
Level Contributor
161 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental CRAZY - Can I Walk?

Stayed at Homewood Suites last week and it is a 3" walk to downtown. They also rent bicycles. You'll be fine.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental CRAZY - Can I Walk?

Jackson has very good (for the US) bus service in town and to the surrounding areas. I don't think you'll want to spend six days walking around downtown Jackson, charming as it is, so you'll be able to make good use of that.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
249 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental CRAZY - Can I Walk?

Thanks everyone. At first the bus idea didn't sound so great, but reading about the START system changed my mind.

How was the weather in Jackson last week, specifically the temps. Hubby not sure what to pack for early morning fishing.

How was the Homewood? Lots of posts about lack of cleanliness. Did the hotel shuttle pick you up?

I know that a week in downtown Jackson isn't ideal - will look into a car once we get there to check out GTNP.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,580 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental CRAZY - Can I Walk?

When we were in Tetons and Jackson last week, temps in the morning at 6am or so were about 45-50 degrees and days were maybe up to 75. We were camping and one morning at Colter Bay CG it was cold enough to put on a fleece jacket, otherwise just a sweatshirt or flannel shirt was fine until about 8am.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rental CRAZY - Can I Walk?

So, while he is out fishing for 3 days, is this a good time for you to drive to Yellowstone, lodge if not in the park in West Yellowstone, and tour YNP... then tell him what he missed? :)

I am serious, BTW.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
249 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Rental CRAZY - Can I Walk?

OMG...no. Will pass on Yellowstone - I'm not very adventurous on my own. The fishing trips will be every other day -- it's a 70th birthday gift to him. My husband has been fly fishing his entire life and this is his dream vacation...he wanted me to go so that we could spend the evenings at great restaurants (his other favorite pastime) - and the alternate days exploring the area. He would do the same for me!

Thanks for the info on temperatures. Thought a fleece would be necessary for the cold mornings.