We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight whitewater

Roanoke, Virginia
Level Contributor
91 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Overnight whitewater

Has anyone done an overnight whitewater trip? Is it better to take a combo trip and stay overnight at a hotel? We're looking at the Sundance Inn. Recommendations on outfitters? both Sands and Barker-Ewing offer overnights, but there may be more... I'm a bit worried about thunderstorms with an evening trip.

Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
205 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight whitewater

You should note that the overnight whitewater with Sands and Barker-Ewing are no whitewater the first afternoon; just a float in the open upper canyon with no whitewater or views of the Tetons. Their overnight camps, though nice, are just across the river from US Highway 89. The following morning you run the same whitewater stretch that everyone does in the Jackson Hole area (there's only the one 8-mile run) There are two kinds of combo trips offered in the area: A) One continuous trip that starts 8 miles above the normal whitewater run and flows on down through it for about a 16-mile total run. Or B) A combo that includes a 13-mile scenic float that, while not in the national park, still has nice Teton views. You then are moved down to the canyon for a whitewater trip. Lewis & Clark allows its customers to split their combo between days, and they offer the smallest whitewater raft in the vally, if that's your thing. (They also run the larger boats).

Roanoke, Virginia
Level Contributor
91 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight whitewater

Thanks for your feedback. I've spent the day doing further research and am even more confused. I'm now leaning toward doing just the whitewater or just the scenic. I've read that some scenics (Triangle X, Solitude) are entirely within GTNP, and all others aren't. Would that be better than the "usual" stretch of the Snake? I'm a bit worried that my kids will find a float a bit dull -- we did the Nantahala (North Carolina)(class II-III) last summer in small boats, which they both enjoyed. Can't do Lewis & Clark small boats due to age restrictions (kids will be 8 and 11). On Nantahala, we were the first trip out, which was great because it was sooooo quiet and no one was in front of us. We felt we had the river to ourselves. Noticed that Lewis and Clark has an "early" option too, although an included dinner would certainly be nice! What do you recommend?