We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snow-mobiling in Yellowstone

Which Jackson hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
10 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
snow-mobiling in Yellowstone

My brother and I are taking my dad to Jackson Hole for his 70th birthday in mid-March. He enjoys snow-mobiling, so we want to take him a couple of days, and would like to take him through Yellowstone on at least one of those days. Does anyone have any recommendations on a good snow-mobiling outfitter that takes groups to "Old Faithful" and other Yellowstone landmarks? I greatly appreciate any advice you may wish to offer. Thanks!

Alabama
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: snow-mobiling in Yellowstone

One of the most convenient places to take a snowmobile excursion is from Flagg Ranch which is very close to the entrance to YNP. I took my family from there into the park back in 03 when you didn't have to have a guide. That was a blast. It's about an all day trip to go to Old Faithful, or it was for us as we stopped at all the warming huts, plus eating lunch at the Old Faithful lodge. It's hard to see the eruption much because it's usually overcast & snowing. It's much more impressive in the summer imo.

If you are looking for another snowmobile trip & don't want it to be guided I suggest going to Togwotee Mountain Lodge. You can rent here for a day or half day & be on your own. They give you easy to follow maps that take your all over the Togwotee National Forest area with some magnificent views. There is an RV park/gas station/snowmobile rental place about 6 miles east of the Moran Junction split. Can't think of the place's name but you can rent all day for $129 per snowmobile.

Good luck from Alabama.

Brentwood, TN
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: snow-mobiling in Yellowstone

There are plenty of outfitters to take you through. However, please know that it is a VERY, VERY long trip round trip----90 miles to/from Flagg Ranch to be exact. It's great if there has been snow from the night before. If not, you'll get very tired of running the snowmobile over the ruts/trails on the road leftover from the day before. Very fun and scenic though----just long and tiring even for a fit 40 year old. Another great trip is a trip in to Granite Hot Springs-----Check out a few sites via google aqand you'll find what works for you.