We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental costs at JAC

Which Jackson hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North, South...
Level Contributor
484 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
car rental costs at JAC

Car rental costs for a full size car are over $300 per week. at JAC Why??

we have rented a few years ago and it was half this price. Is there any other place to rent a car other then the airport to get a better price?

We want to rent the end of August, early September.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,434 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental costs at JAC

"Car rental costs for a full size car are over $300 per week. at JAC Why??"

I have no idea. Maybe it has something to do with supply and demand.

"Is there any other place to rent a car other then the airport"

Dollar and Thrifty have off-airport locations in Jackson.

Chicago
Level Contributor
8 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental costs at JAC

Rented a Ford Expedition from Dollar last week at $60 a day with corporate account. They pick you up at the airport and drive you back/forth to their location in town on Broadway. It was worth the savings over the on-premise vendors.

Searcy, Arkansas
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental costs at JAC

I'd also suggest just checking some other area locations and such. It sounds silly but you might get a car in Jackson and return it to Cody or somewhere and then rent a car there cheaper.

I'll explain why I say this. We're planning a trip in June, and we were originally flying into Jackson and then flying out of Rapid City. The cost for a rental car was $308. (with corporate discount).

We then decided to save quite a bit on airfare and fly into Salt Lake City, and drive to Jackson and then onto Rapid CIty. The cost for a rental for the same number of days from Salt Lake City and returning it to Rapid City was around $670. WOW.

So plan B was to check a 1 day rental from Salt Lake to Jackson and it was $120.

So by renting in Salt Lake and returning the car to Jackson, and then turning right around and getting another car in Jackson it will cost $428. total instead of $670.

Our costs should be quite a bit higher than yours considering the fact all of our rentals are considered one way in that we'll return them to a different location from where we pick them up at.

Milford Center, Ohio
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental costs at JAC

I found Priceline to be a good bet for this time frame (JAC this summer). I found a small SUV from Priceline for about a third of what the major sites were asking. I usually wait until closer to my travel dates, but Priceline accepted one of my "lowball" bids fairly quickly. You won't be able to change your reservation, but it might be worth a shot.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental costs at JAC

Check hotwire.com. Found half rate prices compared to vendor's original website prices!! We are renting mid June, $330 for suv for 6 days.

6. Re: car rental costs at JAC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 06:18