We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shoes in winter

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Shoes in winter

Dumb question, I'm from New Orleans and will be staying in Jackson for New Years. What type of shoes would you suggest at this time of year. Wife and I have never Bern anywhere in the snow.

Thank you.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,714 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shoes in winter

If you're flying in and can bring only one pair of shoes, I'd bring hiking boots. They're pretty surefooted walking on ice and snow, you can wear them anywhere because everything is so casual in Jackson, you can spray on some waterproofing, and you can easily attach snowshoes to them.

Edited: 23 October 2011, 21:45
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,019 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shoes in winter

Actually, not a dumb question at all. The first time I went anywhere really cold when I lived in Florida I thought my feet would fall off. I found that you need something with a thicker sole to keep your feet away from the pavement. The next thing you need is a sole that will give you some traction since it will likely be snowy or icy.

Are you all planning to ski?

I would probably get some winter-type boots/shoes from Lands End or LLBean. They are usually pretty reasonably priced and do fine in the snow.

Pam

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,019 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shoes in winter

Well drat..waited too long to edit. Went to the Lands End site and there are some cute boots for ~$40. Don't get clogs for outside since you risk getting snow in your shoes.

http://www.landsend.com/ix/outerwear/Outerwear/Shoes-and-Boots/index.html?seq=1~2~3&catNumbers=1028~1318&visible=1~2~1&store=le&sort=Recommended&pageSize=24&tab=7&pageSize=24&page=1

Pam

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Shoes in winter

Thanks for the quick responses.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shoes in winter

If possible, try them on for fit. When fitting, ideally, wear warm, thick, socks over absorbent light socks or just thick socks. Inexpensive boots are fine for the limited use they presumably will get, though some of those listed will last a fair while.

Unless you have, say, REI, and you don't, or its like, I agree with Pam:

landsend.com/customerservice/store_locator/

You might call first to see what's in stock and, if none, perhaps they'll request the ones (and sizes) you like.

Edited: 23 October 2011, 22:51
Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,429 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shoes in winter

What are going to be your main activities? If you aren't going to be too active in the snow ie. walking from car to restaurant/shops etc, on shovelled sidewalks,, then I just prefer Merrell Snow Clogs. They come on and off simply, and don't look too cumbersome w/pants etc.

If you are going to be active, such as hiking, snow shoe I preffer my Sorel boots.

I find the best deals are at Sierra Trading Post. I just bought a pair of trail running shoes 50% off, then another 20% for liking them on facebook. It always seems like they have the best prices, and best customer service. Plus, you are giving business back to Wyoming!

Yellowstone Nat...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,346 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shoes in winter

if it were me, I would go to the Sierra Trading Post site (that's how I shop for almost all my outdoor clothes and gear) and search for "pac boots." There are a variety of price points to choose from. Get a boot large enough for a thin liner sock of wicking material and a heavier (example, SmartWool) sock. You'll stay dry and warm.

When my current pac boots wear out, that's what I'll do again.

BTW, REI could also be a good source for pac boots. And also, that was actually a good question, not dumb at all.

Edited: 28 October 2011, 23:57
8. Re: Shoes in winter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 05:17