We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise America

Hudson Falls, New...
1 post
Save Topic
Cruise America

What experience has anyone had with renting an RV from Cruise America for a one-way trip. We want to go from Billings, MT to Rapid City, SD?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
75 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Cruise America

we rented a RV from them In CA and oh boy what issues we had. Too many to write, never again.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Cruise America

This is an old post and the OP never came back to this thread.

13. Re: Cruise America

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2017, 18:30
Grayson, Ga.
Level Contributor
19 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Cruise America

I am so glad I found this link to write my review. We got home last week from a WONDERFUL trip out west. We live in Grayson, Ga. We did ONE whole week in a 30 foot Cruise America RV out of Missoula (LOLO) Montana with a delightful and very GENEROUS woman named Cheryl. We did the second week in hotels. We own a houseboat on Lake Lanier, Ga . I would say the RV was in many ways similar. Let me tell you that the RV is the way to go. I was very skeptical having read so much negative reviews on line but we had a GREAT experience!! We went four months before our trip and looked at the type of RV we were renting at a rental place 40 minutes from our home (Norcross, Ga). The ONLY differencce and the only complaint I have is that the master mattress we had was not good and the one in the sample RV we looked at. It was a tempurpedic. The only other complaint I have is with Cruise America and had nothing to do with the RV we rented. I booked, yes BOOKED airfare from Atl to SLC with a drop off in Missoula Montana. 3 days after I bought the 7 tickets I found out that cruise America was NOT going to allow the one way (drop fee was $450). Fortunately I was able to rebook with Delta roundtrip Missoula. So we picked up the RV in Lolo Montana ( 40 minutes outside Missoula). Oh..we bid on the Days Inn on Priceline in LOLO and once I got there the guy, Mike, charged me more. This has NEVER happened to me before. I do not recommend the Days Inn in Lolo. We wanted to stay in Lolo and this is the only hotel . Our flight got in at 11PM and the Cruise America rental was closed for the evening. Anyway. The RV had a few dings and nics in the exterior but it was pretty much exactly what we expected. It is a WELL planned out camper. The ONLY thing I did not realize is that there is NO oven, only a microwave. So the night we were to have Lasagna, I had to make it in the pot. It still tasted great. You pay .17 a mile to rent the RV and the gas mileage is about 7 miles per gallon. All in all though when I compared what I spent on a FULL size SUV for the second week (rented in Missoula from Priceline) plus hotels (had to get 2 rooms for 7 of us) plus food , I figured we spent 3 times what we spent in the motor home. We ate EVERY meal in the motorhome and everyone had a GREAT view. The ONLY part my husband was nervous driving was the Beartooth Hwy with the steep dropoffs. But unlike a car , everyone had picture windows to look out. Our grown children said renting the RV was the BEST thing we have done in our many vacations. AND we are a VACATION family. Our week in the RV came to $1015 for the camper rental . The rental was $129 per night ($89 if you find a special and are ONE way). It's $129-$139 per night for RV rentals plus the .17 per mile fee. There is a $500 security deposit in case you damage the fee. We didn't do any damage and with all taxes and fees the total was $1015.60. We also did exactly as we were instructed. We returned the camper with a half a tank of gas just as we started with. We took it to a car wash and cleaned it cleaner than when we got it (it was CLEAN when we got it) We refilled the Propane (runs the gas stove). I think it cost $14. We filled the water and emptied the holding tank. Other fees: The other rental fee was the nightly hookup. One night we stayed in a basic campsite and the cost was $15. Most nights we stayed in FULL hookup sites and the fees were $25-$55 per night. The full hookups allow you to take showers in the camper and some places offer showers at their sites. If you are in the Jackson Hole area I highly recommend "Coulter Bay". We were in space P112. It was awesome! We also stayed in Yellowstone at Mammoth campgrounds and in Fishing Village?? I think it was called. FYI: You can rent bedding packets( sheet, pillow ,pillow case, towel, wash coths ,dish towel and a blanket) for $50 per packet. You can also rent the entire kitchen necessities for $100 for the duration of the trip. These things may be negotiable in price. We bought all of our food at the Walmart in Missoula. We spent $400 and had plenty of food for the 7 days we rented for 6 people. We picked up our seventh person after we turned in the camper and headed to Glacier National Park and Lake Louise Canada. We truly did MISS the camper. Email me if you have questions. We did NOT get gouged by Cruise America (the Lolo location). I recommend this location for rental. The camper was CLEAN and with a few hiccups with the generator (and it did work) we had a smooth rental experience. Cheryl CARES about your vacation. FYI: These campers are class C I think. They are NOT the luxury ones you see on the road. I checked and a Class B or A rental was $2800 plus milleage for the week we rented. FYI: I noticed most of the negative experiences seemed to be from folks renting in California. ENJOY your rental!! Make some memories!

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
7,082 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Cruise America

thanks for the report- always good to know how things went. how did you find driving around in YNP?

Grayson, Ga.
Level Contributor
19 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Cruise America

My husband did almost ALL of the driving. We put 3600 miles on the Motorhome and the SUV over a 2 week period. The ONLY time he said he was nervous was on the Beartooth hwy with dramatic steep dropoffs and NO guardrails on the Redlodge side (opposite side from the Yellowstone side). If you haven't done the Beartooth Hwy I highly recommend it. Back in the 80's and 90's Charles Karault had a TV show on Sundays called "Travel America." He said the Beartooth Hwy was his FAVORITE road in the entire USA. We've done it twice and LOVEd it both times. Have a GREAT vacation!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Cruise America

Thanks for the tripreport. Glad you enjoyed your RV trip. Beartooth is fantastic indeed.

Tempe, Arizona
1 post
Save Reply
18. Re: Cruise America

Cruise America is only out for themselves. They will steal your stuff if you leave it in your RV upon return. On a recent two-week trip through NM, CO, UT, and AZ, everything went wonderfully for my husband and me until we returned the RV. We accidentally left three drawers full of items in the RV around 5 pm on a Friday evening.

That Saturday my husband returned to the Mesa location to search the RV. The manager on duty claimed to have walked my husband out to the same RV to search the drawers, but the items were not found. She then actually had the nerve to show my husband an RV that was for sale!

Twenty-four hours had passed between when we dropped the RV and when my husband searched it, so it had clearly been processed by then. I returned that Monday, asking to claim the items. The girl at the front desk actually put me on the phone with the manager (who was upstairs; she couldn't be bothered to come down) who again denied any responsibility for the items. They told me to write to the corporate HQ, which I did, who sent me a pedantic and unhelpful response.

We will never use Cruise America again.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
20,079 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Cruise America

I am sorry you had problems but you've dredged up a very old thread in the Wyoming forum to tack your complaint onto. Your rental location appears to be in AZ whereas the person who started this thread rented in Montana, so not the same at all.

Pam

Aruba
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Cruise America

We just rented a 30 foot RV from Cruise America, where we rented it to visit the Smoky Mountains and the residences of the founding fathers in Virginia with our family of 5. We felt very unsafe driving the vehicle due to several mechanical errors on the vehicle. Cruise America seemed uncaring to our concerns and our time. The mechanical errors were several: inside front of the vehicle (where front passengers put their feet) gets extremely hot when driving (this seems to be a general problem on these vehicles that can't be fixed). Our vehicle needed wheel alignment, wheel balancing, tire change, replacement of the power cord (it was sparking when connecting to electricity outlet) and replacement of the windshield wipers. We called immediately on our first drive from Miami towards Orlando and requested something be done to the concerns we expressed. They advised someone would contact us to get service done. Nobody called. Next day we called again and it seems the people we contacted were not aware of the call we made the day before (even though we called three times). They advised we had to plan a trip to the Cruise America Service Location in Orlando. We didn't want to this, since we were on vacation and preferred to turn the vehicle in. They told us this was not an option. Hesitantly and with little other choice, we went to the location where they (tried to) do something on our concerns. They pumped the tires and put them all on the same pressure (according to them this would solve the concern of car bouncing and not driving steady), they changed the plug on the electricy connection, changed the wipers and (supposedly) did a service. They said they couldn't do the wheel alignment. Taking the RV again with my family, driving from Orlando to the Smoky Mountains, we called the service line several times to plan wheel alignment as the vehicle was still driving unstable and pulling to the right. They did not help find a location for this to be done, and several of the places we tried couldn't do wheel alignment on an RV or were closed. Finally we found a place which was an hour drive from our location on the smoky mountains, and they did wheel alignment and replaced the front right tire, which was worn, while the left front tire was new (supposedly this was main cause for vehicle pulling to the right). We wasted many hours of our family vacation trying to get the vehicle in order. Cruise America somehow didn't understand we did not believe this was supposed to part of our family vacation. At the end of the trip the vehicle made some strange whirling noises driving and the service engine soon light went on. We were so close to dropping the vehicle off that we decided not to waste more time trying to get that fixed. In any case, very dissatisfied with the service, definitely will not rent an rv from this place again and don't recommend it to anyone either.