We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to spend a day in Jackson/Grand Teton Nat'l Park?

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
How to spend a day in Jackson/Grand Teton Nat'l Park?

Will have a day to spend in Grand Teton Nationl Park and Jackson, and looking for how to spend the day. On this same day, I also want to take the Jackson Tram. Note: I do plan to do a scenic rafting trip on the Snake River in GTNP, but that's not till the next day, and after, going on up to Yellowstone. So, on my day in Jackson and GTNP, what's a good way to spend the day, what to see, do, no miss? Thanks!

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,433 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to spend a day in Jackson/Grand Teton Nat'l Park?

Here is a link from Grand Teton Park's Top questions-

Things to do for a short visit.

tripadvisor.com/…postreply

Pipestone, Minnesota
Level Contributor
4 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to spend a day in Jackson/Grand Teton Nat'l Park?

A day really isn't enough, but if I only had a day.

1) Take the Tram

2) Watch the shootout in the town square

3) Visit the GTNP visitor center/museum

4) Jenny Lake and Inspiration point hike

Lebanon, New...
Level Contributor
269 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to spend a day in Jackson/Grand Teton Nat'l Park?

I assume you are in staying in Jackson? If you only have day, a loop that makes sense and that I would recommend:

1.Drive over to Teton Village and ride the tram first thing in the morning (first tram is 9am)

If you buy tram tickets online you save $4:

jacksonhole.com/summer/…tramtickets.html

2. From Teton Village, drive north up the Moose Wilson Road with a stop for a short hike in the Laurance S. Rockefeller preserve

3. From the LSR Preserver, drive north (with a slight jog east) up to the GTNP visitor center

4. From the GTNP visitor center, drive north to Jenny Lake for a hike or boat ride over to Inspiration point. (You have to pay to enter this part of the park - you pay $25 for a vehicle pass that is good for 7 days in both GTNP and Yellowstone).

I would pack a lunch and snacks and eat somewhere scenic along the way. If you want to go out for lunch, stop at Dornan's near the GTNP visitor center.

5. After visiting Jenny Lake and enjoying the gorgeous views in GTNP, drive back south into Jackson for the shootout (6pm) and dinner (The Silver Dollar Bar at The Wort Hotel is my recommendation on the Town Square).

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to spend a day in Jackson/Grand Teton Nat'l Park?

Thanks for the suggestions to everyone.

With regards to doing the Jackson Tram in the morning, vs. later in the day, why is it recommended to do 1st? Also, how much time would it be expected to spend on the Jackson Tram altogether, in terms of total duration, time up top, getting up, down, buying ticket? Actually, I already purchased the ticket online saving $4. Thanks.

Lebanon, New...
Level Contributor
269 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to spend a day in Jackson/Grand Teton Nat'l Park?

My recommendation to do it in the tram in the morning was just from a route planning perspective. You could certainly go the other way around, though, and start at the furthest point north and work your way back. It usually is a good plan to hit the LSR Preserve early in the morning though, because they only let a limited amount of people in each day and if you are there in the summer, you might end up waiting or having to skip it.

The tram ride takes about 10-12 minutes. When you get to the top you can walk around and explore as much as you like. In my opinion, allocating an hour is plenty of time unless you are planning on doing some serious hiking.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
156 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to spend a day in Jackson/Grand Teton Nat'l Park?

This thread was very helpful to me. Especially regarding the tram and the time commitment required.

We are flying into Jackson on a Saturday, doing GTNP on Sunday (Jenny Lake ferry and hikes, lunch, scenic drives, Mormon Row and Menor's Ferry before a 5:30 scenic float inside the park.) On Monday we will drive all the way through GTNP to Old Faithful and will then spend the balance of the week in Yellowstone before dropping back into Jackson Hole Friday night.

Our flight out on Saturday is not until 5:30 p.m. so I thought the tram would be a great farewell excursion and am glad to know we should have plenty of time to enjoy it and not stress about getting to the airport early enough to be relaxed and ready for our flight.. Thanks!!!

7. Re: How to spend a day in Jackson/Grand Teton Nat'l Park?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2013, 06:15