We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Touring Jackson or GTNP for the day?

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
420 posts
235 reviews
Save Topic
Touring Jackson or GTNP for the day?

We fly into Jackson at night. The next day we have the entire day to sight see before we head north to Glacier (via Butte and Swan Lake). Then GNP. Then Yellowstone. We anticipate we will be exiting the south entrance of YS around noon heading back to Jackson for the night before we fly back out the next morning.

So we will have an entire day on the front end and most of the day on the back end. I'm wondering what we should do.

Should we tool around Jackson one day or drive to GTNP? Or should we spend both days doing GTNP? And regardless, what highlights should we see? I KNOW I want to see Mormon Row for a photo op, but aside from that, what should we do?

We are 2 adults and 2 kids ages 8 and 5 1/2. Would a float trip or rafting trip (if they allow my daughter to do it based on river flow) be a must?

Thanks!!

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
8,005 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Touring Jackson or GTNP for the day?

Not sure, but you would have to contact the vendor for float trip- some have said age 6, others that if the child is big enough for the life jacket, they allow 5 yr olds. I vote for GTNP the day after arrival with float trip if you can. Where are you staying the first two nights? Then, you could decide if you need more time there or if you want the more tourist (read shopping) stuff in Jackson for your last day. I always vote for more time in Yellowstone- how many days each place?

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
420 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Touring Jackson or GTNP for the day?

We are staying at the Rustic Inn Creekside the first 2 nights and finishing up at The Wort. Between the front and back end, we are staying a night in Butte (stopover), Swan Lake, 3 West Glacier side, 2 Many Glacier, Bozeman, and 3 at YS.

So I don't really have a GTNP "planned" day and I know we'll be driving through it on the way from YS, just was curious if we should also plan some time the day after we arrive.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,381 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Touring Jackson or GTNP for the day?

Yes I would plan on a day visiting GTNP. See Jenny Lake, maybe a short hike, visit visitor centers. Also drive up to Jackson Lake, at Colter Bay Village is a rocky beach that the kids can play in the water and you can have beautiful views. Watch for wildlife everywhere. www.nps.gov/grte

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
72 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Touring Jackson or GTNP for the day?

In Jackson there's the alpine slide which our 3 kids loved (6.9.12) . and in Teton Village there's the Tram to the top of Rendevous MT. Both are an easy drive from the Wort- we stayed at the Lexington...very close.

There's also a little playground in the "center" of Teton Village where the kids can run off some energy while you relax for a half a second.

GTNP was beautiful but if you aren't at Jenny Lake before 9- forget about it...it will be too crowded. But you can still do the Jenny Lake drive at least when you are heading south from YS to Jackson. Signal mountain summit road was were we saw a bear with her cubs....it's along the way too.

The Visitor center in Moose of GT is a great stop for the kids. and if you are looking for a place to eat- Dornans' pizza and pasta is in the same area and was a quick- easy- affordable and yummy meal.

We rafted with SANDS and had a great time- but you will be really wet- it takes about 3 hours total-so make sure you still have a hotel room to shower in before your plane ride-enjoy your trip!

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
420 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Touring Jackson or GTNP for the day?

Thanks so much. We are 2 days away from our flight! If all goes well, GTNP will be on Thursday! Thanks for the new ideas!

6. Re: Touring Jackson or GTNP for the day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2013, 10:16