We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to buy cooler, do quick shopping, grab dinner

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
532 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to buy cooler, do quick shopping, grab dinner

We're almost there - arriving tomorrow night for our 12-day visit to YNP and GTNP! I can't wait!

We arrive around 7pm in Jackson and are planning to hit Jackson Whole Grocer (my son and husband have celiacs and need some gluten-free food) , Albertson's, and K-Mart if necessary, then on to Wyoming Inn for a night's sleep before getting up early to drive to OFI in YNP.

We won't have much time after picking up our car - I think the stores close at 10 or 11, and we obviously will need dinner sometime in there as well.

Where is the best place to buy a cooler that won't be too expensive but will get us through the 12 days. We'll need to give it away at the end so don't want to spend a lot but also I don't expect a cheap stryofoam one will meet our needs as we'll be in the parks most of the time, eating many lunches and snacks at a minimum out of the cooler.

Suggestions on where to grab a quick bit as well somewhere decent but where we won't run out of time?

Trying to optimize the little time we have to shop tomorrow evening before hitting the hotel - and hopefully still have time for a quick dinner somewhere!

Mentioned in this post
Jackson Whole Grocer & Cafe
Jackson Whole Grocer...
157 Reviews
Jackson, WY
Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
7,143 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to buy cooler, do quick shopping, grab dinner

Kmart is open to 10pm; Alberson's is open until midnight. To get your cooler, try Kmart. There are several fast food places in Jackson, including McDonalds.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to buy cooler, do quick shopping, grab dinner

I found Smith's to have better prices than Albertson's.

We chose food for lunches and breakfasts that didn't need refrigeration, so we didn't buy a cooler. We just took a collapsible cooler for sodas. I liked not having to worry about wasting materials or quickly finding it a new home when we'd rather be enjoying the view.

For dinner, I'd recommend Calico, just a few miles out of town towards Teton Village. I'd call, though, about your dietary restrictions to make sure they can accommodate you.

Edited: 10 August 2012, 02:16
Mentioned in this post
Teton Village
Teton Village
Jackson Hole, WY
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
324 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to buy cooler, do quick shopping, grab dinner

We bought both our groceries and cooler at Albertson's. I believe that our cooler was $24 (hard-sided minus a drain spigot). We also filled out an application for a preferred shoppers card at the front desk, which took just a few minutes. It was worth it because we received a nice discount on our groceries.

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,567 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to buy cooler, do quick shopping, grab dinner

Hello -

I believe most of the stores close sooner than 10:00 FYI. Lee's Tees, a t shirt shop stays open till 10, but I am not aware of anyone staying open later than that.

Jack Dennis close at 8:00 and Wyoming Outfitters at 9:30. My favorite jewerly store closes at 7, and iroincaly 6 on weekends. I don't know why...

If shopping is important to you, I'd suggest having a bite to eat somewhere close to the town square and hitting the grocery store afterwards.

Mentioned in this post
Lee's Tees
Lee's Tees
28 Reviews
Jackson, WY
5. Re: Best place to buy cooler, do quick shopping, grab dinner

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 14:16