We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road conditions/delays this week from CO to Jackson?

Hendersonville, NC
Level Contributor
702 posts
Save Topic
Road conditions/delays this week from CO to Jackson?

Hey folks,

OK, finally, a NON-smoke/fire question from me! (by the way, I REALLY appreciate all the great feedback everyone has given on that topic).

So two days left now until my big 6-week road trip. On Friday I'll be heading from Fort Collins to Jackson. I'd like to take the 80 to 287 route to through Lander so that I can make a detour to Independence Rock and do Togwotee Pass into the Moran entrance to GTNP. Then there's the option of taking 80 straight through and hitting Jackson from the south, which looks to be a little quicker. Besides the Togwotee Pass construction delays (which I hear aren't that bad), any other road work that I should be aware of that might make me favor one of these two routes?

Thanks!

Burlington, Iowa...
Level Contributor
618 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road conditions/delays this week from CO to Jackson?

I am a huge fan of Lander and Togwotee Pass so I definitely vote for that route! Minimal traffic and beautiful scenery. We went through on a Sunday so road construction wasn't going on, but from what I could see, it wouldn't be bad when it was up and running. If you have time, stop at Brooks Lake outside of Dubois. It is a bumpy, gravel road for about 5 miles but the lake and view at the end are amazing! Picnic tables right by the lake, if you get there at lunch time. Added an hour to our trip so plan accordingly.

Also if you have time, take the detour through the Medicine Bow Mountains out of Laramie, through Saratoga and then hit 80. Again, it will add time and I've never done the drive from Ft Collins to Jackson so I'm not sure how much extra time you'll have,

Oh and gas is cheaper in Dubois. Love their cute shops, always pick up a calendar at the waterwheel gift shop.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road conditions/delays this week from CO to Jackson?

I agree with Jenmarie to go by way of Lander and Dubois. I've been over the pass and back several times in the past couple of months and never had to wait more than about 5 minutes, although you might plan to wait a little longer just to be sure.

Since you're going to Independence Rock, here's some more information:

…state.wy.us/trailsdemo/independencerock256k…

Charles Kuralt at Independence Rock: www.youtube.com/watch…

Edited: 02 September 2012, 16:26
3. Re: Road conditions/delays this week from CO to Jackson?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2013, 10:17