We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Teton Crest Trail

NYC
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Teton Crest Trail

Has anyone hiked the Teton Crest Trail before, I am going to GTNP in June and plan on hiking the trail from the Teton Village Tram up to Holly Lake and then to Jenny Lake. Anyone have any info and tips and/or facts for this trail it would be very appreciated.

Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Teton Crest Trail

The Teton Crest Trail will still be under several feet of snow in June. Unless your planning on doing most of the route on skis or snowshoes and have lots of winter camping experience, you might want to reconsider.

NYC
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Teton Crest Trail

Are you sure about the snow in june, i am heading into the park on June 22 and I called the Park Service about the weather and nothing was mentioned about the trail being under snow, much less feet of it!! I was told I might need an ice axe for one or two parts of the trail where it will be snow fields but not the whole trail. Please let me know.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
687 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Teton Crest Trail

You will find that in most of the Western States, the higher elevation trails aren't completely free of snow until the end of July.

Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Teton Crest Trail

I have hiked the TCT numerous times over the last 20 years. This year we had about 125% of normal snowfall. We have had a cool, wet spring and the meltdown at higher altitudes has barely started.

Yesterday was the first day that temps reached 70F on the valley floor. Temps at 8-10,00ft are still in the high 30's and low 40's.

Nobody can tell when the trails in the high country will be passable w/o snow gear. My wag is about the 2nd to 3rd week of July.

Here is a link to a photo I took yesterday showing the snow on the Tetons.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51216464@N00/146193193/

The TCT runs much of it's length above the treeline. Note the level of smowmelt in relation to valley floor & treeline.

You can keep an eye on the meltdown's progression by checking the different webcams scattered around the valley.

jacksonholewebcams.com/jackson-hole-webcams/

Hope this helps.

NYC
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Teton Crest Trail

Thank you, that definetely helps. Just can't believe the there is still that much snow up there in the summer!! Glad I found this out before we got up there, we would have been in trouble and my buddies would probably have left me up there. Think we will stick to the valley trail and probably hike up Death Canyon a ways, just want to see as much as possible and figured the TCT was the best way but I guess I will have to wait until I return. Thanks for the help.

P.S. - Any recommendations for alternate trails and good places to do some wildlife viewing??

Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Teton Crest Trail

Good news for you, Croc. Temps have been unseasonably warm the last couple days, high 70's in the valley. Meltdown is going bigtime at lower levels- 6000-8000 ft. Expected to continue thru the rest of the week. Big high pressure system over the valley.

My friend Brian threw my digital camera in the river the day I took the pics, but I'll post pics as I can until I get a new camera.

You have caught my attention, send me an e=mail via this site and I will keep you updated on the TCT. If it's not doable , I'm sure I can send you somewhere you'll talk about for years.

I need details- # of folks, ages ability,M/F, special interests?

Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Teton Crest Trail

Guess you can't respond here- e-mail: jhlogdog@msn.com

Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Teton Crest Trail

Crocpete & John, here's an update-

Warm week and the meltdown is happening in a big way, rivers and creeks are really roaring. The snow line is advancing up the mountains slowly.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51216464@N00/152317455/

This is a picture of Rendevous Mountain I took on my way to work this am.. You can see the tram tower on top to the right of the bowl. This is the starting pointof the TCT. As you can see, there's till a lot of snow up there.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51216464@N00/152317457/

This pic is farther north, you can still see the ski area on the left. The three canyons visible are l-r or S-N are Granite, Open and Death Canyons.

Croc, I think you made the right decision to change plans and camp down low. Leigh lake is stunnung. I don't know the number, but the campsites at the base of Leigh Canyon is perfect. You can head up Leigh or Paintbrush Canyons from there.

John, you may want to do something similar. I'll try and hook you guys up via e-mail.

Another thing to consider is our altitude. The valley floor is at 62-6400 ft. Coming from sealevel and trying to hike the TCT at 9-10,000 ft might not be the best idea.

dallas,texas
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Teton Crest Trail

any update on the teton crest trail. planning to do it in 10 days.

Utah
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Teton Crest Trail

A group of us are hiking the Crest the 2nd & 3rd week of August. How's the meltdown going? We hiked it before in 2002 during the drought. The only snow field we encountered was on the North slope of Paintbrush Divide. We didn't need an ice axe then, but I'm wondering about this year. We may not be so lucky. See photo attached.