We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Floating trip on Snake River

Charleston, West...
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Topic
Floating trip on Snake River

Hi - we want to do a floating trip with Barker-Ewing on June 2nd in GTNP. The times are 10, 2 & 6. I have a 6 & 8 yr old. Which time would be best? The only thing I have planned is a hike to Inspiration point in the morning and the floating trip. Wondering which time would work best for us. I called Barkler-Ewing but no response yet. Thanks for any help!

Edited: 28 February 2013, 18:58
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Floating trip on Snake River

Hi,

Where are you staying ? Within GTNP or at Jackson ?

It is best to do the hike as early as possible to avoid the crowd and the midday sun.

There is a fair amount of elevation gain till Inspiration point so the little ones would definitely need some break. Perhaps halfway through at Hidden falls. I'd suggest 4 hours at least or longer to enjoy the scenery. Or even perhaps venture a bit into the Cascade Canyon ?

Can't you split it up in two days ? If you can't then I'd suggest to go for the hike first starting as soon as possible ( if you can drag them out of the beds!!) and then drive to Jackson, have a break/meal and book the 6 PM. 2 PM would be too tight. If you do the 6 PM trip then you may have to drive back in darkness.

Sunset would be around 8-30 pm so if you stay inside the park then need to be very very careful driving back from Jackson.

My kids were 7 and 12 and they actually wanted to do the whitewater rafting rather than the float as the float section looked boring. I think your kids would also enjoy that although in June the water level may be high for the kids. Of course that's not a problem for float trip.

I'm surprised that BE haven't got back to you. They were very prompt with me and I gave them "excellent" in my review.

Cheers

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
31,476 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Floating trip on Snake River

Barker Ewing is really good about getting back in touch with people- give them a couple of days. We did the late afternoon float trip with our teenagers the first time we were in the Grand Tetons. It was in early June and the days were long so had time to get back to Jackson.

Charleston, West...
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Floating trip on Snake River

thanks! I guess I'm too anxious :) I'm trying to get reservations out of the way. My sister wanted to stay at The Lodge at Jackson. So we will have 2 days in GTNP/Jackson Hole & then head to Yellowstone for 5 days (staying in the park). Should we attempt Inspiration Pt or just plan for the overlooks or stop at Hidden Falls? I want to do it all but in reality, I can only do a little - ha! Thanks so much for all your help! I love these forums!

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Floating trip on Snake River

Hi,

You are not too anxious at all. Just a good planner and I know with kids you have to plan meticulously. I'm always in favour of encouraging families with young kids to explore this wonderful park so that kids also learn to admire and respect nature from an early age.

If you are planning to stay at Jackson Lake Lodge then factor in another 45 minutes drive to Jackson. I am not sure where exactly is the pick up point for the float trip but suspect it is from BE office at Jackson only.

You are the best person to judge your children's abilities so my views may not be helpful. My 7 year old is not that fit but she did manage quite a bit of hiking with regular breaks and recharging with sweets, drinks and ice creams ( whenever opportunity came).

I think it would be a shame for you to return from the Hidden Falls as the vista does really open up when you approach the Inspiration point. There is a little bit of "scary" hike as you approach the summit and you would have to help your kids to negotiate that stretch.

Again going early means fewer hikers and less dehydration. I did couple of reviews of the hike which you may find helpful :

tripadvisor.co.uk/…REVIEWS

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g143029-d1…

You'll have a great time.

Cheers.

Charleston, West...
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Floating trip on Snake River

Thanks! I checked out the trip reviews & definitely will get the kids out early! And I'm sure we will be stopping alot to rest! Thanks again!

6. Re: Floating trip on Snake River

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2014, 07:16