We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Start planning road trip from MIA to JAC

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
284 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Start planning road trip from MIA to JAC

Hello Every1

'YEPPPPPP finally we made a decision ... The next trip to Jackson Hole ... WE WILL DRIVE ... Ive been planning this for the last two trips but ending taking a plane

We decide to drive after last time spending almost 2 days in the airport to then leave to LA then spend another night to leave to MIA all this cause a broken plane , plus all the inconveniences the flare high prices bring to a vacation , such as depending which day is cheaper to leave , same to return , flying which isnt my pleasure , etc

I know many people call this craziness but just imaging the views , the adventure and having control of my own time make it worth it ... Also the gas price plus one night in a hotel to rest and some minor expenses will be still cheaper than the flight price I can get . Also no need to rent a car

I plan to spend around $1200 in Gas round trip 5000 miles ( Yep I will drive a gas guzzler ) but also this will be more reliable for the ice/snow conditions ...

Last winter while we were there we drive around 300 miles, Town , trough the Teton Pass , also the road to Flagg ranch ( at 75MPH ) we were late ( shhhh ,dont tell the rangers ) ..found many way had very sloping hills , turns , ice , etc but we drive around with no trouble at all .... I dont think driving from Miami would be a problem .... In fact the first 1500 miles should be easy free worry ...

Well here it is the plan ... leaving Miami on day Dec 25 @ 6am ... I should arrive Kansas next day ... 26 @ 6-7 Am ... Resting for a day/night ... Leaving Kansas @ 6am Should arrive Jac around 7-8 Pm ... ( skipping the Kansas rest will be a good option . got to think about it )

What should I take for the trip .. For now I will start buying some chain for the tires , a first aid kit , a Magnesium Fire Starter , A shovel , warm blankets , flashlights and batteries .. .. Any other thought?

I know the spring just start but a trip like this has to be planned with plenty of time ... Any advise very much appreciate ...

Thank you so much ....

As always Best Regards form Miami

BTW enjoy the Summer

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,715 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Start planning road trip from MIA to JAC

"Last winter while we were there we drive ... the road to Flagg ranch ( at 75MPH ) we were late ( shhhh ,dont tell the rangers )"

You seem to think that driving through Grand Teton National Park way over the posted speed limit is funny. But I don't. The carnage of dead elk, deer, moose, bison and other animals mowed down by speeding cars is a needless tragedy.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,689 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Start planning road trip from MIA to JAC

You should post this on the road trip forum for great info-

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
465 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Start planning road trip from MIA to JAC

My advice would be to not drive from 6 a.m. when you leave Miami through the night to Kansas. Bad idea to be on the road that long, even with switching drivers. Instead, drive until 7 or 8 that first night, and then stop for the night and sleep. Up early the next morning, on the road again. Then skip the rest day in Kansas.

We've driven from Iowa to Florida and back, hopefully the route you'll be taking will be more scenic than the one we took because it was not very scenic. It was a really boring drive except the area right around Chattanooga. Plus if the plan currently is to drive straight through the night you won't see anything anyway;-).

Remember areas on your route can get blizzards which will close down the roads for a few hours or even days.

Edited: 16 April 2013, 13:15
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
4,312 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Start planning road trip from MIA to JAC

Not a great plan. Not to mention if you hit winter conditions along the way. You might want to consider going a longer more southerly route. How much is your time worth. Your credit card can take it if you have a breakdown along the way.

Something more like Miami-Nashville 911 miles, Nashville-Grand Island NE 841 miles, Grand Island-Jackson 791 miles. Still three very long days.

ps I agree with TetonBill.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
284 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Start planning road trip from MIA to JAC

@ Tetonbill I agree with you ,,, in fact I do apologize for the reckless driving ... Was a situation where we were very late to take the Yellowstone snowcoach because we miss the south enter and ending driving another 30 miles away and 30 miles back ... I didnt know the coach will wait so we need to hurry to avoid missing the transfer and loosing one day ...

No for excuses but same thing happen when you driving in a hwy at higher speed cause you are late for a meeting .. always can lead to an accident involving people , not animals , even so we all have speeding at some point

The speeding wasn't for fun but anyway could have end in a tragedy .. So you are right ... I posted early to take enough time to drive from Jac to YNP to avoid this kind of situations .

'My bad for posting that way . I will try to edit the post to prevent other people reading to do the same

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
284 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Start planning road trip from MIA to JAC

@kren&Ystoner ... Thank you for the input ... Problem I see with driving till 7-8 pm is that getting out of Florida only will take 8 hours the 7-8 should take me to TN ... If I stop in TN then another 25 hours to JAC so another stop needed ...

Cause we are just two adults and one child the main plan is to have a sleeping bag to sleep on the back of the car on the way , at least the first 24 HR to make it as close we can to the middle of the way .. Of course all this is relative to how we feels at the moment ... We haven't made any trip such as long as this one but we have drove close to 1000 non stopping and sure can go for a while more ..

Sure the trip would not be scenic till we pass by TN , Fl is pretty much boring , not sure how scenic is the road trough Missouri , Kansas and Nebraska which is the route google shows as the shorter

Ystoner The 3 days trip would be the easy way to do it but I cant afford to loose so much time on the road , time is limited by my daughter school and still need time for the way back

A breakdown is always a possibility , it is actually what worries me more , I will have a backup money for that case , also will purchase a road insurance which covers the towing and some parts , other than that just pray ... How common is to get closed main roads for bad winter conditions? .. I will be traveling around the Dec25

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,022 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Start planning road trip from MIA to JAC

Miamicouple, I know you love Jackson and Yellowstone in the winter, but I recommend you do this road trip in the summer!

One of the tough things about winter driving is the unknown weather factor. If you have been watching the weather channel over the last few days you will have seen endless shots of winter weather with a couple of bad storms marching across the country. This is mid-April and some roads have had to shut because of snow. This set up could easily happen on December 25 and could just as easily not happen. You are really not going to be able to tell what the conditions are going to be until 5 or so days out from your departure.

With a limited time frame and a *need* to get to Jackson, I recommend you all fly in again for a winter holiday or modify your plans and come in the summer.

Pam

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,312 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Start planning road trip from MIA to JAC

That time of year you're betting a snowstorm won't come through the plains. Twice, coming and going. How many time have you watched the news about a blizzard shutting things down that time of the year? If you think being stuck at LAX isn't fun, maybe being 75 miles west of Grand Island stuck in a foot of snow, with the interstate shutdown, waiting to be rescued hoping someone will come by and pick you up and take you to a truck stop to wait with a couple of hundred others and no hotel would be more entertaining. I'm sure some of the people who live in those northern climes can pipe in about how they keep sleeping bags, and survival gear in their trunk during the winter months.

Your original plan was for a 21 hour travel day, rest day then another long travel day. How is that better or different from 3 more reasonable travel days. Six travel days, compared to two if you fly.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,022 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Start planning road trip from MIA to JAC

Ystoner, good point about the survival gear. I have just THIS WEEK removed the bin I keep in the back of my SUV...mostly because I needed the room to take stuff to the local charity shop. In that bin, I have blankets, snow shovel, extra jacket, extra gloves and hat. That is just for my basic trips back and forth in to town, 12 miles away. If I were to go on an actual trip, I would add food and water to that.

Pam

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
465 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Start planning road trip from MIA to JAC

To add what others have said, I live in Iowa and we have had 8 days this winter alone where school was closed due to bad weather/blizzards. That does not include the two or three snowstorms we got over the weekends. Twice my kids missed two days of school in a row because roads drifted in over night, and had to be plowed again the next day. It's really not a fun time of the year to be making a long road trip in the midwest or up north. It's one of the reasons we've never done a big road trip during winter.