We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ski bum in Jackson...thoughts??

Neptune City, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Ski bum in Jackson...thoughts??

I'm a recent college graduate. I love to ski. The idea of being a ski bum for a winter intrigues me. Now seems like a good opportunity, so why not? If I can convince a friend or two to come along, that'd be great, but I wouldn't mind going solo. I'm from the east coast and have skiied out west a number of times, but never Jackson Hole. I'm mulling over some issues and I'd love to hear others' thoughts.

1) What type of job should I get? Ideally I'm thinking something seasonal that pays enough for me to eat, sleep somewhere, and ski. Should I work on the mountain/resort? Maybe that comes with housing/ski pass. Or maybe find a night shift job (i.e. bartend) to leave daytime open for skiing?

2) Where do I want to live? Jackson vs Teton Village? I will have a car.

Any general thoughts on living and working in Jackson, skiing. ski bumming are welcome!

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
7,255 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ski bum in Jackson...thoughts??

My thoughts in General: Do it while you can IF your parents are not supporting you and you can pay all your bills . Our daughter worked in Yellowstone 3 summers and experiences like that are lifetime memories. Good Luck! Oh, and Congratulations on your College Graduation!

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ski bum in Jackson...thoughts??

Hello

If you are going to be a ski bum, or a 90 day wonder (JH wording - not mine:) , then you might as well work for the resort itself, where you can ski for free http://www.jacksonhole.com/employment.html. However, there are plenty of bartending/wait jobs to take advantage of too. Have you checked the cost of a season pass should you need to buy one? Not all employers have passes, and the ones that do, with the exception of the mountain resort, only have a few to be shared among all of their ft employees. Your housing would be probably end up being in town, unless you are lucky enough to get subsidized ee housing from JH should you end up working there. A two bedroom in town will probably run you anywhere from $1300-$1500 a month.

The best way to get a good job is to be here in November when Jackson Hole holds their annual job fair. They ask you show up with several copies of your resume/references and be prepared to interview on the sport. That way they can meet you in person, and typically hire you on the spot. What you have to remember about Jackson Hole is that pay will be low, cost of living will be high. But its the price you pay for living in a wonderful area. Something to keep in mind, along the lines of what thbergs said. IMHO there are three types of ski bums: non working, poor ski bum, trust fund baby ski bum and hard working giving back to society ski bum lol.

I would start by contacting them as directed through the above link. See where that takes you.

Good luck.

P.S. A great place to look online for housing or to get an idea of what is out there: http://classifieds.jacksonholeradio.com/cgi-bin/classifieds.cgi?session_key=&display_subcategories=on&category=Rentals+ampersand+Roommates

Edited: 10 August 2013, 16:25
3. Re: Ski bum in Jackson...thoughts??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2014, 06:18