We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomodation and car rental for Sept 2014

Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Accomodation and car rental for Sept 2014

Hi- my family and I are looking to visit Jackson next year for 2 weeks to visit Yellowstone, Grand Tetons etc. I have been previously but many years ago and would like some recommendations for accomodation whether it be condos or hotels we are open to options as long as it is reasonably priced and not to far away from Jackson town centre.

Also I was wondering which is the best priced car rental ,Avis and Hertz are normally over priced (well they are in the UK anyway) so I was thinking maybe Alamo or Dollar but we would be landing about 9pm in the evening after a 17 hours fight so I don't no if the shuttle from the airport and the car rental would still be open at this time? had a great experience with Alamo in Florida last year but I no their prices vary a fair bit from state to state.

Thanks

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,462 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accomodation and car rental for Sept 2014

Jackson is a great place and would be fine for your visit to the Grand Tetons NP but not for Yellowstone NP.

For Yellowstone you need to get in park lodging which cuts down on driving time or stay in the gateway towns of West Yellowstone or Gardiner.

http://www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/

There are many hotels and condos in Jackson. You can check TA or vrbo for condo rentals. If you have a family then you might check one of the larger suites at the Lexington Inn.

Let us know if you have other questions!!

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
38 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accomodation and car rental for Sept 2014

Regarding car rentals, I would imagine the shuttles would still be running at 9pm especially if they were expecting you. I know a lot of times they ask for your flight information when you book the reservation. Have you tried using a site like Travelocity? They usually tell you whether the rental desk is in the airport terminal or requires use of a shuttle.

We are headed there soon and I am on my fourth car rental reservation. Every time I saw a lower rate, I rebooked and cancelled my previous reservation. As your trip gets closer, you will likely see some deals. Originally I was booked with Hertz, then Alamo twice and now finally Enterprise. We're renting the car in Jackson but returning it in Billings so that limited my options since not all companies were willing to do one-way rentals.

Good luck & enjoy your trip planning!

Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accomodation and car rental for Sept 2014

Thanks for your help both. We will deffo consider renting up in Yellowstone for a week, we only have one little girl who will be 2 when we visit next year so we only need somewhere small. Car wise I think I will take your advice and wait for some good deals nearer the time, my hubby gets a company discount with Alamo so that might be the best route for us :)

Where do you all recommend to stay in and around Yellowstone that's reasonably priced?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,462 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accomodation and car rental for Sept 2014

Canyon area is most central in terms of lodging but many of us on the forum suggest splitting time between Old Faithful and Canyon/Lake area.

http://www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/

If you want out of the park which means more driving then check out hotels or cabins in West Yellowstone or Gardiner. There is no cooking in the lodging in the park so if that is a must look into cabins in the gateway towns.

Let us know if you have other questions!!

5. Re: Accomodation and car rental for Sept 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2014, 05:19