We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July 2014 Family Trip

Leesburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
327 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
July 2014 Family Trip

Hello. I'm beginning to plan a family trip next July to Grand Teton NP and Yellowstone. We're a family of 6 - 2 parents and 4 kids (that are 14, 16, 18 and 20). It looks like we'll get in the night of July 3rd (around 9 pm) and stay until Sunday, July 13th, so we'll have 10 nights (9 full days). We would like to do scenic hikes, see wildlife, do a whitewater rafting trip, horseback trail ride, rodeo and perhaps a chuck wagon dinner (if that's something that my teens would enjoy vs something geared towards younger kids?). We've never done whitewater rafting or horseback ride so we wouldn't want any too advanced (unfortunately for my kids, I'm a pretty risk adverse mom!). Please let me know if there are any other activities we should consider.

I was thinking of booking our first 4 nights in Jackson. Is this close enough to GTNP that would make it convenient as a base or should we try to get closer to the park? Should we go to the rodeo, white water rafting, horseback ride and dinner while in Jackson or would there be plenty of other good places to do some of these activities in Yellowstone? I was hoping to spread out some of these throughout our trip.

After Jackson, we would spend 3 nights in West Yellowstone (looks like in-park accommodations near Old Faithful are already booked for next year). After that, 2 nights in the Canyon area of Yellowstone. Should I switch these around to 2 nights in West Yellowstone and 3 in Canyon? Should we do a horseback ride/cowboy dinner or whitewater trip out there?

We'll be flying out of Jackson at 1:30 pm on Sunday, so should we plan to spend our last night in Jackson?

I would really appreciate any advice you could give me, including accommodation advice. It seems like the kids would appreciate staying in Jackson if there's more to do there in the evenings vs a more quiet, remote spot, at least for part of the trip. Budget wise, I would like to keep it under $250/night per room, if we need to get 2 rooms for the family (more is fine if all of us can be in a condo or 2 room suite). Simple is fine as long as it's clean and in good condition.

Thank you so much for any help!!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
25 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: July 2014 Family Trip

We only visited Jackson Hole during the winter, so I'm afraid I can't help you with the summer tours. But as far as catching the flight home from Jackson- I would definitely stay there. Most flights seem to leave very early and even from Jackson it is about an hour ride to airport- of course we did pick up a few other people along the way. I have gone white water rafting before and it is a blast, just haven't done so there. Sounds like you have a fantastic trip planned!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
25 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: July 2014 Family Trip

Might want to check to be sure wherever you are staying there is TV for those teenagers and check bathrooms available. Can be mighty quiet in the evenings for them if you are staying in the park. Just something to think about.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
25 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: July 2014 Family Trip

Wow Teton Bill. Maybe you can help us. I have been on the computer all day planning our 2nd trip to Jackson Hole this Feb/March. We have toured Yellowstone by snowmobile and snowcoach, to the elk refuge, been to Teton village, did the tram. Fell in love with Jackson Hole. Are there any other snow adventures that you could recommend for us.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
6,524 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: July 2014 Family Trip

Kathy, here are some things you might want to do in JH during your winter visit: downhill skiing; cross-country skiing and snowshoe hiking in GTNP; snowcoach trip into YNP; snowmobile in the national forest; visit the National Museum of Wildlife Art; take the tram to the top of Rendezvous Mountain for views of the valley; sleigh ride into the elk herds in the National Elk Refuge; drive the Elk Refuge Rd., do some snow activities at Snow King; ice skate; ride a dogsled; take a sleigh ride to lunch or dinner; soak in a hot spring; take a sleigh ride and enjoy dinner and a barn dance at the Mill Iron Ranch. Here are some links that might be helpful:

www.jacksonholenet.com/winter_recreation/

jacksonholenet.com/winter_recreation/ice_ska…

http://www.wildlifesnowshoeadventures.com/

http://www.togwoteesnowmobile.com/

http://www.wildlifeart.org/

bart5.com/bar-t-5,_inc_-_covrd_wgn_ckout_hom…

www.millironranch.net/sleigh-rides.html

Pearl River...
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: July 2014 Family Trip

Wonderful new ideas thank you so much

Leesburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
327 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: July 2014 Family Trip

Thanks for all the great responses to this post. I am very sad to say that our plans have changed for next summer and we've had to postpone this trip. The good thing is that all the research and information that I've gathered will not go to waste and I will be able to book my national park rooms well in advance for the next time. I've really enjoyed learning about this beautiful part of the country and look forward to visiting soon!

West Palm Beach Fl
Level Contributor
1,014 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: July 2014 Family Trip

We are going for 2 weeks this summer (just bought airfare and have timeshare rezzies - 1 week Jackson Hole, 1 week for Yellowstone out of Island Park, ID). This thread has given me some great ideas and links! Thanks so much!

18. Re: July 2014 Family Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2015, 05:19