We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gros Ventre Campground

mdurand
Level Contributor
128 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Gros Ventre Campground

We are looking at trying to RV camp in the Gros Ventre Campground in the middle of June. Since we can not make a reservation what do you think my chances are in getting an RV site?

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,549 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gros Ventre Campground

Pretty Good. You probably should have no problem, especially with 350 sites.

From nps.gov/grte/…CP_JUMP_31287

"Generally fills in the evening, if at all."

However, only 12 sites have electric, so if you are asking will you find a site? Yes. Will you find one w/electricity? Perhaps not. It also looks like only some of the area loops allow generators.

Edited: 28 April 2014, 23:18
Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,199 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gros Ventre Campground

Gros Ventre Campground is our favorite. We go there every year, love

the set up, the location and the area....have never known it to fill up.

It is like BlueBirdDay says "dry camping" but allows generators in certain loops.

Last year we had a herd of bison come thru camp on their way to the river

and three moose in the river just the backside of the campground...always

something great going on.

mdurand
Level Contributor
128 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gros Ventre Campground

Thanks for the information. I feel much better that we can find a spot and dry camping is not a problem.

Washington State
Level Contributor
190 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gros Ventre Campground

We are leaving for GTNP and Yellowstone early on Friday, July 11 from Portland, OR. We have campground reservations for our tent trailer in YNP for 5 nights starting on Sunday, and are planning to camp in GTNP on Saturday.

Google Maps says it's 12 hrs 20 min from our house to Jackson. With occasional stops for bio-breaks and gas along the way, I expect it will be closer to 14 hrs. We were originally planning to stop for the night in Idaho Falls, then drive the rest of the way in the morning, but if we leave early enough, we can be in Jackson by 8 pm. However, I am worried that even Gros Ventre will be full by then. Should we stick with our original plan and spend the night in Idaho Falls instead?

Mentioned in this post
Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
7,143 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gros Ventre Campground

It's very rare for the Gros Ventre campground to fill. Maybe just a couple of times each summer. So you're likely to be ok, if history is any guide.

Washington State
Level Contributor
190 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gros Ventre Campground

Likely, yes, but if not, we need a plan B. I see that Colter Bay Village RV park takes reservations so I might check into that as well. My concern is after driving for so long, having to search for a place to camp is much more stressful. But being able to spend an extra day in the part would be fabulous.

Moose, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Wyoming, Jackson, Jackson Hole
Level Contributor
7,143 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gros Ventre Campground

There are also a number of private campgrounds and forest service campgrounds in the Jackson Hole area.

Mentioned in this post
Washington State
Level Contributor
190 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gros Ventre Campground

Thanks! I've looked at a few so far and they are full but will keep searching around.

9. Re: Gros Ventre Campground

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2015, 05:16