We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to See and Do On Way To/From Granite Hot Springs

West Palm Beach Fl
Level Contributor
1,014 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
What to See and Do On Way To/From Granite Hot Springs

Planning a relaxing day trip to the hot springs. Have to see how it compares to Huckleberry hot Springs and the Boiling river in Yellowstone - LOL!

Are there any particular turn outs or side roads we should look to take to add to the day's fun?

Thanks!

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,429 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to See and Do On Way To/From Granite Hot Springs

The entire drive itself is very scenic. I can't think of any side roads but there probably are some FS roads around that might be interesting if you have 4wd.

On a side note, Huckleberry is now off limits to soakers in case you were thinking about hitting up this year FYI....the story is below.

jhnewsandguide.com/news/environmental/last-c…

West Palm Beach Fl
Level Contributor
1,014 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to See and Do On Way To/From Granite Hot Springs

Thanks for the info on Huckleberry - we were totally planning on going there.

What's the word on Polecat? The article says hot potting (love that phrase!) is still allowed there. I hadn't heard about that one before. And also Kelly Springs is still allowed but may not be for much longer... any thoughts on that one?

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,429 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to See and Do On Way To/From Granite Hot Springs

The article says that hot potting is still allowed there. The issue with Kelly is not soaking, which is still ok, but the hundreds of non native fish that have been dumped there by local families over the years (ie win a gold fish at the county fair - don't want it, but want to survive - just dump it in Kelly Warm Springs....).

They need to find a way to rid the warm springs of these species because many have found their way out where they didn't think they could - through Ditch Creek and have been found close to the snake river.

Ever see a foot long goldfish? Apparently they exist.

Jackson, Wyoming
Level Contributor
647 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What to See and Do On Way To/From Granite Hot Springs

Polecat area is awesome, watched a grizzly run down a sandhill crane while soaking there.

Plan the whole day in the Granite Creek Valley, its an incredibly spectacular drive. Depending on when you go there might be some free hot springs in the area for you to try as well. I'll talk about them in private.

Granite Falls is awesome. The drainage is one of my favorite hiking areas. Love the Granite Hi-Line and Swift Creek. Just going upstream from the CCC Pool is awesome too. Saw a guy fishing Granite last Wednesday. It was still quite high but clearer than most area waters.

Little Granite is great but I'd skip it with the limited time you have.

If you are going to Granite from the town of Jackson a bit farther is the Cliff Creek Road. This is one heck of an awesome area to see flowers and is also a nice little scenic drive. Cliff creek Falls is an all day hike and not worth the short hikes you could do on the trails I already emtnioned. Getting up on the Hi-line's crest takes me under an hour and the views are AWESOME.

5. Re: What to See and Do On Way To/From Granite Hot Springs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2015, 05:17