We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Better to stay in Jackson Hotel or Grand Teton Nat'l Park?

Which Jackson hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Athens, Ohio
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Better to stay in Jackson Hotel or Grand Teton Nat'l Park?

Our family of three (2 adults, one tween), will be traveling through the Yellowstone NP and Tetons NP area for 6 days. We have 4 nights booked in Yellowstone and want to spend 2 nights in the Grand Teton/Jackson National Park area. We want to hike, see wildlife and the usual nature things, but are also open to other types of activities (historical, cultural, etc.)

We are trying to figure out whether we should book a room at in Grand Teton (Jackson Lake Lodge cabin), or whether having a room in Jackson will allow us more flexibilty in choosing activities. Any advice on this? We are active travelers. If we stay in Teton, will be be wanting to travel into Jackson Hole anyway for meals, or any special activities South of the town, etc.? What's the atmosphere like in Jackson Hole? Thanks!

Leuven, Belgium
Level Contributor
28 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Better to stay in Jackson Hotel or Grand Teton Nat'l Park?

Stay in Grand Teton. Jackson isn't that pleasant to stay (too busy)

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,306 posts
382 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Better to stay in Jackson Hotel or Grand Teton Nat'l Park?

We love staying in Jackson Hole because it is an easy drive back into the Tetons NP. After staying in the park in Yellowstone we love the town square, activities (rodeo and shootout), good restaurants, etc. in town. Lodging is pricey but accommodations are very nice!!

Iowa
Level Contributor
122 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Better to stay in Jackson Hotel or Grand Teton Nat'l Park?

We loved Jackson Hole. So many fun restaurants, shops and bars. I found it was a great way to spend an evening after spending the day in the park.

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,124 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Better to stay in Jackson Hotel or Grand Teton Nat'l Park?

I would stay in Grand Teton National Park, there are many great places to eat within the

park can think of many....for me, we drive thru Jackson and its a fun spot to visit once but

I go to the area to explore and be in park....

I love the Colter Bay area, they have good places to eat there, Signal Mt.Lodge, great food there

and those are only places I have tried. Also staying in the park allows you to experience it at night.

and if close by can do a Ranger talk....whatever you choose enjoy.

Hampton, New...
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Better to stay in Jackson Hotel or Grand Teton Nat'l Park?

You don't mention when you will be travelling. If you want to stay in the Park, you need to usually make reservations well in advance. These places fill up quickly. The town of Jackson however has many options for lodging and you should be able to find something on shorter notice. Either way you will enjoy it.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
447 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Better to stay in Jackson Hotel or Grand Teton Nat'l Park?

It really depends on what you want to get out of the trip. Like Kalii, I go for the park, so I want to maximize the time in the park and have the best possible access at all times. But if more dining options, shopping, etc. are important to you, then staying in Jackson may fit your needs better. So ask yourself what your travel style is and which option seems more appealing. Personally, I'll always pick the in-park lodging over the gateway towns, although my wife and I will visit the towns and occasionally stay in one. For our upcoming trip, we'll be staying 5 nights in GT, 4 in Yellowstone (1 Mammoth and 3 Roosevelt) and 1 night at the end in Jackson.

FWIW, we really liked Signal Mountain Lodge for a place to stay in Grand Teton. Great location, good food and the price was not outrageous.

7. Re: Better to stay in Jackson Hotel or Grand Teton Nat'l Park?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2015, 05:17