We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do when it rains

MA
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
What to do when it rains

We're heading to Jackson & GTNP later this month. We'll be spending an entire week there so we'll probably have a day or afternoon with poor weather. What is there to do inside if we get a day that's a washout? We have a 12 year old son.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,449 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do when it rains

Most likely you will see rain mid afternoon which clears by evening. Right now it was a nice, albeit warm day and we are seeing some rain now with thunderstorms. If I drove 10 minutes N or S it wouldn't be raining (until the rain arrives). I don't think you will have a wash out day but better to plan your outdoor activities in the morning. With that said, pocket storms create some nice light for photos and the cool weather might bring some animals out perhaps. You could tour the Morman Row area for some good photo shots.

I have a really good app on my phone which shows accurate up to date radar. We've used that a lot when camping and have been able to plan down to a 5 minute window when we know we'll get poured on. I don't have it front of me right now but radar us or something like that comes to mind. You can also use it for advance planning 5-6 hours out.

Jackson has the National Museum of Wildlife Art (kids love it - my 6 year old has been going there since he was a baby); a Rec Center complete with a really cool slide & basketball courts; 3 movie theatres that start at 4:30 and a recently renovated very nice library. There is a lot of walking around/shopping/art galleries around the town square and the boardwalks are mostly covered so that would also be a possibility. There is a children's museum but without visiting the site, a 12 yo might be too old for it?

Within Grand Teton National Park, you could go to either Visitor Center and see their movie, talk to Rangers about your next hike, or go back to your cabin/tent and take a nap lol. Unfortunately (for us) I don't see too many 100% wash out days. My lawn would love it and so would I so long as it occurs during the work week.

Level Contributor
30 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do when it rains

when it rains, we find hiking to be best. the mosquitoes go away, etc.. short of lightning and a low level trail (String LAke), it's safe.

3. Re: What to do when it rains

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2015, 05:16