We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spear-O Ranch-Undiscovered gem?

Ardmore...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Spear-O Ranch-Undiscovered gem?

I'm thinking of staying at the Spear-O Wigwam Ranch in the Big Horn Mountains. I love high mountain country and historic lodges and this looks like a good place.

Is the ranch hard to get to? If you have stayed there, what was the main attraction of the place? Was there anything special here that you couldn't find somewhere else? Did you have any problems with the facilities or services? Anything that needs updating? How did you feel about the price of over $200 a night? Would you go back and would you recommend it to someone else?

Thanks everyone!

Edited: 11 October 2010, 19:43
Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spear-O Ranch-Undiscovered gem?

You'll find two, positive, reviews on TA.

Central New Jersey
Level Contributor
391 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Spear-O Ranch-Undiscovered gem?

LOVE your questions! We too are thinking of going to this ranch after doing a lot of research. The woman who answered the phone seemed very nice and I did check the reviews on TA but one of them was in a foreign language! We're hoping to go in July 2011, and will eagerly be looking for any info from our good "TA" buddies!

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spear-O Ranch-Undiscovered gem?

That foreign language is French.

Central New Jersey
Level Contributor
391 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Spear-O Ranch-Undiscovered gem?

Nice of them to take the time to post such a thorough review, though not much help on an English-speaking forum!

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spear-O Ranch-Undiscovered gem?

True, Bayley1, but the ranch is, after all, in the US. Perhaps they posted same on their home forum, but unlikely. :)

Come to think of it, if I liked a place in another country, I'd post (yep, in English) how great it was in their forum.

Edited: 13 October 2010, 01:12
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spear-O Ranch-Undiscovered gem?

Hi I used google to translate the French trip advisor report on Spear-O-Ranch for you

Ask what you preheat your cabin because it is often cold at night and go and wash before 22:00, a time when electricity is cut. It is a ranch where we are up to 20 people, very friendly, it is quiet in the midst of breathtaking scenery. The horses are very easy to manage (U.S. mounts) and Rick, our guide, very friendly and competent you can go quad biking, 4x4, canoeing and fishing. It eats very well, barbecues are a delight. Stroll in Sheridan, the nearest city, will also see a rodeo. Your cabin in the morning, will be surrounded by squirrels and biches.C is an unforgettable experience and a continual wonder

I hope this helps

J

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spear-O Ranch-Undiscovered gem?

Big smile!!!

Seattle
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Spear-O Ranch-Undiscovered gem?

I just returned from SpearO, September 2010.. It was great. The main events are horseback riding, hiking and fishing. The cabins are nice, rustic and clean. The majority of them were duplex style. (Side by side). They either had a shared bath in the middle or two independent rooms with private baths. I had the only single cabin on the property. This ranch runs on generators for lights. There is propane for heat and water-heaters. So every night about 10PM, the lights went out until 6AM. If you go, be sure to take a few flashlights. I found my Led headlamp and a candle worked just fine when it was lights out time. If you travel by car you can bring more lighting to suit your needs. None of the cabins has any amenities for food or beverage prep. I was given an ice chest, so I used ice to keep what little I brought with me, cold. I loved the grounds. There were pine trees running throughout, a fast running creek that runs beside the property, behind most of the cabins. Water to sleep by. The main lodge was huge and had many different areas, in an open concept configuration. There was a reading section with a wall of books to chose from, a no host bar and a sitting area with 3 couches. There are card tables and a large round table sitting off to one side that sits about 10-12. The fireplace is huge. It's big enough for several people to stand in and when the fire gets to blazing, it's a beautiful sight. The dining room had one long series of tables, where everyone eats together, family style. The food was excellent and there was plenty of it. The horses were well maintained and very agreeable. The one thing about this place that I enjoyed was, you could be alone if you liked. You can roam the grounds. In the rear is a forest of pine trees and lots of places to explore. If you go out the first front gate, you can walk about a mile to the property's front gate. That's along a big open area, gate to gate. If you veer off, you hike down by the reservoir, which was low when I went but I could tell it's a large body of water in the spring, early summer. You can also cross the creek bridge and walk through the woods, or just sit in the picnic/BBQ/bonfire area down by the children's pond and listen to the rushing of the creek. All are relaxing and peaceful. At night you can see every star in the sky and you won't hear an airplane at all. There is no cell service but I was able to get WiFi from them. The weather was temperamental so we had everything from hot days to snow during my 7 days there. The ranch is located about 1hour up the mountain from Sheridan Wyoming. The weather is generally 15 -20 degrees cooler than Sheridan's weather. I was also told to bring rain gear. They do have long slickers for horseback riding but we also traveled 2 hours to hike up to the Medicine Wheel, on another part of the mountain. There we encounter about 3 inches of snow and another 1000 ft of elevation to climb. At times we had moose and deer hanging around the cabins, which made for great photo ops. I traveled with a women group, so it was an adult only week for us. I don't know the feel of things if there had been children out and about but I think there's a fairly low guest capacity since they only have about 11 cabins. Would I go back? Absolutely. Was it worth the money? Yes. The peace and quiet was priceless to me. This ranch is up for sale so if you plan to go make sure things haven't changed. I'll try to drop some photos on the main site here at TA.

Central New Jersey
Level Contributor
391 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Spear-O Ranch-Undiscovered gem?

Wow, what a great review! You told me everything I needed to know, and more!

We are about to send our deposit for our stay next July, but the info that the ranch may be sold by then concerns me. The ranch in Cody that we stayed at last July had been sold in a similar situation and it turned out just fine. Still, it does give us pause. I think that before I make our final reservations I'll have to find out more info. Thanks! (We really want to go here, the location is perfect for our two-week road trip and we like that we can commit to less that one week)

10. Re: Spear-O Ranch-Undiscovered gem?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2011, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Sheridan
More Sheridan Topics