We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gardiner vs. West Yellowstone?

West Chester...
5 posts
Save Topic
Gardiner vs. West Yellowstone?

We're going to GTNP and YNP in August for 10 days or so. I have a few days scheduled in Teton Village and a night at Old Faithful and then Canyon Lodge. Would Gardiner or somewhere in WEst Yellowstone be better for touring YNP? I am concerned about road construction on the western half of the upper loop.

Mentioned in this post
Teton Village
Teton Village
Jackson Hole, WY
Old Faithful
Old Faithful
4,104 Reviews
Yellowstone National Park, WY
Gardiner
Gardiner
Montana
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,013 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gardiner vs. West Yellowstone?

Since the roads are two loops, you can avoid construction, if you must, (construction sometimes is at night) and backtrack which many of us agree is a good thing in YNP, as sights, wildlife and perspective changes are worthwhile.

I'd stay in the park if at all possible rather than add driving time getting in and out of the park, especially after dusk.

If you cannot get park lodging (though you should keep calling, cancellations occur) your ideas are valid. West Yellowstone has more things to do. Deb has posted construction information on this forum; you might search for it.

I assume from your post that you'll have at least a week in YNP; terrific.

Perhaps you have seen this:

Official Lodging and Tour Vendor for Yellowstone National Park (Call them frequently, cancellations occur. Don't use other agencies, they charge a service fee and, in the end, they have to call Xanterra themselves, which you can do for free.) Locations, costs, lodging descriptions are all here.

http://www.travelyellowstone.com/

Edited: 22 April 2010, 05:38
Mentioned in this post
alabama
Level Contributor
371 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Gardiner vs. West Yellowstone?

i've stayed in both towns & probably prefer the gardiner area just because it's closer to my favorite areas of the park. a good option that we love to stay at is about 20-25 minutes outside the north entrance in pray, mt. google chico hot springs for a great place to stay that's convenient to the park. several room options & the best restaurant anywhere close to the park imo. the hot springs is also great after a day of hiking & they have live music on the weekends as well.

West Chester...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Gardiner vs. West Yellowstone?

Thank you. Yes - I've gone thru xanterra. Pickings are slim but I'm still calling every other day!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
33,446 posts
496 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gardiner vs. West Yellowstone?

We have stayed in both towns. We prefer West Yellowstone because of lodging and restaurant choices.

Edited: 22 April 2010, 18:27
Mentioned in this post
Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
6,300 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gardiner vs. West Yellowstone?

As a town, I, too, prefer West Yellowstone over Gardiner because of greater lodging and dining options. I will say, however, that Gardiner is a good place to base for touring the northern side of the park, including Mammoth, Lamar Valley, Tower Fall, and even Canyon (West would be ok for Canyon also due to Canyon's central location). Gardiner is also more accessible to driving the Beartooth Highway. Naturally, West Yellowstone is better for seeing Old Faithful, Norris, and even Lake.

Mentioned in this post
Gardiner
Gardiner
Montana
Lamar Valley
Lamar Valley
2,480 Reviews
Tower Fall
Tower Fall
281 Reviews
6. Re: Gardiner vs. West Yellowstone?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2010, 09:04