We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

teton mountain lodge vs Lexing at Jackson Hole

Toronto
Level Contributor
199 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
teton mountain lodge vs Lexing at Jackson Hole

Hi All,

Our plan is to stay at Yellowstone 7 nights and then stay at GTNP for 3 nights. Two choices for accommodations: Teton Mountain Lodge or Lexing at Jackson. Which is better? We are family of 4. will visit the park everyday. Is it convenient for grocery shopping around Teton Mountain Lodge? Is there any activity after dark in the town?

Also, do we need pass to visit the park? We will be there Sept 1-4, is the weather chilly enough after sunset?

Really appreciated your inputs.

CMOOD

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
226 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: teton mountain lodge vs Lexing at Jackson Hole

I've stayed at both the Teton Mountain Lodge and the Lexington, and would recommend both. Here are some of the pros/cons of the two. The Lexington will allow you to have a suite, which will give your family extra space to spread out. It is also a only a few blocks from the town square with many restaurants and shops. Both places would require a drive to the grocery store and the Lexington is closer, but the TML isn't too far (10-15 minute drive). We found nightlife at Teton Village to be pretty dead over Labor Day weekend, and drove into town for all our dinners, shopping, rodeo, etc.

Both places are nice, but the TML is more in the "luxury" category (but note there is a daily resort fee- $20 I believe). The Lexington is more like an updated Hampton Inn in terms of niceness. The Lexington has a free breakfast; the TML does not (although TML often runs a special that includes a free breakfast--I would inquire about free breakfast when you call to make reservations).

If I recall correctly, both places are about the same distance to GTNP, although you will take a different route. From the TML, you will take Moose Wilson Rd. which is great for wildlife viewing (we've seen moose on this road every trip). From the Lexington, you would take the highway and have easier access to the Gros Ventre side of the park. So, the Lexington has the advantage of space, price, and proximity to town. The TML is the choice if you are looking for something more plush.

Yes, you will need a pass to get you into the park. $25 for a week, and that covers both YNP and GTNP. For 10 days, it sounds like you would want the annual YNP/GTNP pass, which is $50. If you anticipate visiting other U.S. national parks, the nationwide annual pass is $80.

When we've visited over Labor Day, we always wind up wearing jeans and jackets at night- it does get a little chilly at night and in the morning. We even had an evening snow shower last year while in Yellowstone. During the day, it's usually been warm enough for shorts.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
226 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: teton mountain lodge vs Lexing at Jackson Hole

I should also add that we stayed in a hotel-style room at the TML, but I know they also have condo set-ups as well.

Toronto
Level Contributor
199 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: teton mountain lodge vs Lexing at Jackson Hole

Hi NatlParkTravl,

Thank you for sharing your experience.

On TML website they have a summer promotion for $30 credit of breakfast everyday if booking. $30 might be not enough to cover the whole family's breadfast fee... Anyway,swimming pools at TML looks very nice, kids will love it.

Do you know when the majority people leaving the park before sunset or after dark, just want to figure out if we need to stay in Town for night activities.

This question might be dummy, Is it safe if we still wandering around the park after dark?

Thanks

CMOOD

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,969 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: teton mountain lodge vs Lexing at Jackson Hole

You do not need to be in the park after dark in my opinion. You need to be very careful when driving because of all the wildlife.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
226 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: teton mountain lodge vs Lexing at Jackson Hole

I agree that there's really no reason to be in the park after dark. Driving in the dark with animals on the road is what makes it somewhat dangerous (its not as though there is concern about crime or anything like that). We have driven around near dusk to look for animals, but in those instances we've taken the highway back (through town and then over to Teton Village) rather than drive Moose Wilson Rd. in the dark.

If I remember correctly, the breakfast buffet at TML was about $15 or 20 per person. But there are also a la carte options on the menu (and possibly a kids menu that would be less expensive).

Toronto
Level Contributor
199 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: teton mountain lodge vs Lexing at Jackson Hole

Thank you all.

CMOOD

7. Re: teton mountain lodge vs Lexing at Jackson Hole

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 05:17