We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Aloha BnB Review Rejected

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
21 posts
165 reviews
Save Topic
A Aloha BnB Review Rejected

I recently tried to submit a review to this site about my stay at A Aloha Bed and Breakfast, also known as A Aloha Guest House in Captain Cook, Hawaii. It was about my stay and also about the frustration I experienced reading others reviews of this place that gave it a bad name. PLEASE take the time to read my review.....

Once again, I am compelled to write about our wonderful experience at this bed and breakfast. We stayed for our honeymoon, and it was the perfect piece of solitude we were looking for. Every detail was tended to and our HOSTS Johann and Lino were very friendly and attentive.

I am compelled to write again because of some of the other reviews I have read on this website

about A Aloha Guest House.

If I may, let me clarify. When you book a bed and breakfast, you should not expect your typical

hotel experience. You will not have maid service each day, so please don't expect that you will

have fresh towels or your bed made each day. Your hosts understand that the room you are in is YOUR room for the time you are there and they will most likely not enter that room until you are

gone.

Please remember that you are more than likely staying in a part of someone's HOME!! The people who live there are not EMPLOYEES. They are your hosts and also the owners. Of course they are

going to eat breakfast with you. Of course they are going to relax in the living room at night

and watch TV, etc. You are in their HOME!! Those of us who like to bed and breakfast enjoy

meeting these hosts. Having a meal with them is part of the fun. You get to meet new people and talk about your adventures. PLUS, what better resources to use for local info than YOUR HOSTS!??

Please also remember that it is tradition in Hawaii to not wear shoes in someone's home. It is

considered rude. So please be prepared for this. You would not go into an Islamic temple or

someone's home in Japan without first removing your shoes, would you? Of course not, because

you are being respectful!!

Another thing I feel I need to touch on. Yes, Johann and Lino may be gay, but it certainly does

not define their bed and breakfast. Never at anytime did we feel that were not welcome because

we were straight. Nor were there gay pride flags, etc all over the place. In fact, we didn't

realize they were gay until the near the end of our say, but WHO CARES?? It didn't affect our

stay AT ALL!! It wasn't like they went parading all over every day about it!!

The road to get up to the house is rough, no doubt, but we found it a bit adventurous! Just take a jeep and you'll be fine!

Breakfast was good and plentiful. Johann has a German background, so you may see a touch of that in his cooking. It is more of a European-style breakfast - boiled eggs, oatmeal, toast, fruit, ham, coffee...but it was great each time!

As far as other guests in the bed and breakfast, you will probably encounter them. And they will probably want to talk with you. That is another reason we bed and breakfast. We like to meet other travelers and share stories. If you don't want to share a bathroom or a lanai with other guests, be sure you book a room with a PRIVATE bath and lanai. Just do your research.

And as for rules, well unfortunately not everyone is respectful inside someone elses home. I think it is completely reasonable for the hosts to request certain things be done or not done.

For example, I wouldn't want each and every person to feed my dogs god knows what. Is it so

hard to respect those wishes?

Please keep all this in mind when booking to stay at a bed a breakfast. If you want maid

service, privacy, meals to yourselves, etc, THEN BOOK A HOTEL!! Stop giving awesome bed and

breakfasts like this one bad reviews because you didn't do your research!!!

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
260 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Aloha BnB Review Rejected

Navilla, this is great! we are booked to stay there soon and am happy to here your reviews. any other info you can get to me would be appreciated as we have a booking there in April, we have the kohala room-where did you stay? any photos? I loved the ones on their site.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
21 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Aloha BnB Review Rejected

We stayed in 2004 and loved it. My husband and I always try to chose a bed and breakfast over a hotel whener possible.

I just got on their website and was looking around. It looks like they have raised their prices quite a bit. We stayed in the Horizon room and LOVED the view. We paid $170/night. It was a bit small, but we really didn't spend a ton of time in the room anyway. I can't imagine why they raised their prices!

The Kohla room has a great view, too. Oh, and the showers are awesome!

The hot tub is huge.

You can rent a kayak from the hosts for around $40 and they will help you get it on the car/jeep. They also had nice snorkling equipment to use for free. Go down to the Keakalakua bay, kayak to the Captain Cook monument and snorkel there for some of the BEST snorkling in Hawaii! Fish galore!

It is about a 45 minute drive to Kona and 2 hours to the top of Mauna Kea.

Tne road to get to the house is rough. It is slow going and we were glad we had a jeep, but if you are adventurous, you'll be fine and maybe enjoy the ride!

As stated before, breakfast was fine.

We loved it. Hopefully you will, too.

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
260 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Aloha BnB Review Rejected

Navilla, much thanks! the mixed reviews had me a tad concerned but no enough to go elsewhere. We have a 4x4 for the trip as he is a real outdoorsy kind of guy so the trip up the road to the house will not be such a task for us (hopefully). I'll be sure to fill you in on our stay as the trip is a birthday trip for him!