We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Based in Captain Cook - where to see the superbowl?

Which Captain Cook hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
United States
Level Contributor
550 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Based in Captain Cook - where to see the superbowl?

Good day and thank you all for your opinions!

I will be staying in Captain Cook during the time of the Superbowl. Where will be the best place to watch the game We dont need to spend a lot of money, we just want a comfortable place to see the game. Will we need reservations? Please advise..ty

22 replies to this topic
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,782 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Based in Captain Cook - where to see the superbowl?

There's nowhere really in Captain Cook to watch the game except people's houses; there's little in Captain Cook at all, and it's relatively far from everything, which is why it's generally not recommended as a base. Don't you have a TV at your accomodation? If not, you'll probably want to drive into Kailua Kona where there are sports bars, namely Oceans and Humpy's, or the bowling alley (KBXtreme). I don't think any of them take reservations and it will be crowded, but they're all fun places. The bowling alley has more locals, the two oceanside sports bars more tourists. Humpy's has a lot of beer choice on tap. They're probably also playing it at the bar in Kealakekua, the Korner Pocket, but that's a much less comfortable option.

Edited: 07 January 2013, 18:30
United States
Level Contributor
550 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Based in Captain Cook - where to see the superbowl?

Thank you Shea for the info and all your posts which have been a great help in planning my trip. I am sorry i did not read more before selecting captain cook but we will make the best of the location. We have a car. We like not being located in a tourist environment, so all is good! We arrive for 18 day at the end of the month...cant wait..Thanks again!!

Hillsboro, Oregon
Level Contributor
265 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Based in Captain Cook - where to see the superbowl?

Aloha,

You might want to check out Annie's Island Fresh Burgers bar.

\nnn/

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,782 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Based in Captain Cook - where to see the superbowl?

Annie's is great, but no TVs.

I understand the desire not to stay in "tourist areas", but particularly in Hawaii, the resorts are where they are because the beaches and weather are great, unlike Captain Cook. And some, like the Mauna Lani, are very low key and Hawaiiana and have preserved a lot of the important surrounding historical and cultural grounds and fishponds. To me, it's more "Hawaii" than a residential area with dogs and roosters and houses all next to each other. I lived in Captain Cook a few years before having to ditch the vog and long drives to the beach every day. On the upside, Honaunau Bay is great snorkeling and you can try Hookena too although sometimes not the most aloha down there, and it's nice to leave it for the locals on weekends.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,762 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Based in Captain Cook - where to see the superbowl?

I always thought the coffee towns had plenty of touristy environment in terms of lots of tourists around at the sights, more there is a lack of options for eating out and swimming.

Driving to other areas gets old fast, so having a car is not a solution to the downside. The upside is usually price, but you can burn the difference in gas very quickly. (I stayed there twice, but the second time was to make it convenient to look at property, only that didn't work out either, as everything looked so much worse in reality than the photos online, so we drove north almost every day.)

If you have a TV with cable I would watch it where you're staying, unless it's a tiny TV that would ruin it. At least that way you can have a few beers and not drive and not be around the post-game DUI drivers. (I don't go out on the roads after any big deal that creates drinking parties. People here are stupid about driving blotto.)

Hillsboro, Oregon
Level Contributor
265 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Based in Captain Cook - where to see the superbowl?

Aloha Shea!

It's my understanding Annie's new bar has tv's and there's a TA review from Nov. that mentions watching the World Series there.

\nnn/

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,782 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Based in Captain Cook - where to see the superbowl?

Thanks shaka Rick, I haven't been in a couple months, so that may well be true. I've seen the new bar though and it's very small, I can't see that being a great Super Bowl spot, but maybe! It's definitely worth checking out, if for no other reason than the great burgers and beer.

United States
Level Contributor
550 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Based in Captain Cook - where to see the superbowl?

I got kinda depressed figuring we have selected a bad location for our 18 day trip.

When I planned this I anticipated no tourist traffic, 2 outstanding snorkel locations, of which now one has closed to kayaking as of 1/1/2013, and a few other snorkeling spots close by too. We like to snorkel! There are a few other attractions south of Captain Cook that i also was going to visit. Not that we wouldn't see the entire island through out our adventure! We have double booked, for one night at the Volcano and one night in Hilo.

Well, i appreciate the truth, I will have to make the best of it considering i am leaving 2 feet of snow, absolutely no sun, and average temps of 28F :-) Thanks for your honesty!

I will check out Annies, that is the name of my better half, Annie:-)

Canada
Level Contributor
9,109 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Based in Captain Cook - where to see the superbowl?

Staying in Captain Cook aside..... Why 1 night Volcano....1 night Hilo?....that 's rather curious....they are only 45 mins apart. I suspect you are doing those nights back to back??

No chance of getting out of a few of those CC nights??.... and heading up to South Kohala where the skies are clear, there is little rain..and you would be within close proximity of some of the Island's best beaches.

There is wonderful snorkeling at Makaiwa Bay.

In the Captain Cook area, check out a little place for great Pizza , Pasta and salads. Patz @ Papparoni's. Fabulous NY style thin crust pizza ( or pretty close)

Located at 82-6127 Mamalahoa Hwy Captain Cook....across from the Fire station.

Safe Travels

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,762 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Based in Captain Cook - where to see the superbowl?

Don't be depressed, Warrior Joe! It's 18 days in Hawai'i in winter.

I think we were hoping you had some ability to change part of your stay, but I guess you are within the window of full payment, no cancellation allowed?

As for the kayaking, it was harmful to the Kealakekua Bay environment and has been discouraged on this forum for several years now, so the closure is preventing you from doing damage I am sure you would not wish to do. (See the Top Question on kayaking and dolphins.)

Are you actually staying in the town of Captain Cook, or somewhere in that large area?

There is a lot to appeal in your location, typically lush vegetation and ocean views (if not voggy). It is rural Hawai'i and not resort, and there's something to be said for that. My opinion of "resort" did change after I saw the Big Island resorts. Other than the Hilton, they are laid back and not crowded, evan Waikoloa Beach is not that busy. And public access is your friend.

You will probably see as much density of people trying to use Two Step on a weekend as you might see at one of the Kohala beaches though. You are definitely not going to some remote spot with little tourist traffic. And Kealakekua Bay was a zoo with all the kayaks and boat traffic,

It's Hawai'i. The only places you don't see a lot of tourists are those that require long hot walks because the road is impassable, and at some like Papakolea (Green Sands) you will still see lots of tourists.

But "lots" is a relative term, and we are still uncrowded compared to Oahu and Maui. I think you'll have a great vacation.

Reply to: Based in Captain Cook - where to see the superbowl?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted