We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cocktails in Captain Cook or nearby?

Flagstaff, Arizona
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Cocktails in Captain Cook or nearby?

Anywhere for a good Mai tai or nice wine menu in Captain Cook?

2 replies to this topic
Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
39,341 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cocktails in Captain Cook or nearby?

I can't answer although I have a feeling you need to go into town (Kailua Kona), and the nice wine menu is dubious there. But this is not my area.

Just posting to offer a tool: if it's open in this area you can bet it is reviewed on TA. The three forums (subforums) you want to check are Captain Cook, Kealakekua, and Honaunau. (There's a forum for Honalo but nothing linked in it.) Go to the Restaurant section on the left menu of the subforum. This section will give you a pretty complete overview of all your dining and drinking options in the area.

As you will see, most of them are not places with liquor licenses, so you can screen those that have them.

This is an agricultural area that doesn't really cater to the tropical cocktail scene. I don't think too many rural locals choose Mai Tai's as their drink of choice. Kailua-Kona is very different and I'm sure there are discussions if you run a search on who has the best Mai Tai. (Don the Beachcomber's at Royal Kona ResortKona Resort is one contender.)

Interesting wine, you may want to go up to the Four Seasons north of town.

Edited: 08 January 2013, 23:24
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
29,060 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cocktails in Captain Cook or nearby?

Captain Cook has no such place that I know of. It's not much of a town and has little to no tourist infrastructure. Probably the closest would be Keei Cafe in Kealakekua, but their service has been really rude many times I've been there. There's the Korner Pocket, a local bar in Kealakekua. Annie's is about 15 ninutes away and has a new bar and really good food although it's not what comes to mind either for a cocktail place. None of these places has a good wine list. If you're looking for a nice, more full service cocktail bar or restaurant, you'll want to go into Kailua Kona, and really the only places with decent wine lists are the resorts further north, starting with the Four Seasons, or Merrimans in Waimea, about an hour and half away.

Edited: 09 January 2013, 01:47
Reply to: Cocktails in Captain Cook or nearby?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted