We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local bus transportation

Abilene, Texas
Level Contributor
8 posts
209 reviews
Save Topic
Local bus transportation

My wife and I are planning on spending a month or two in a captain Cook area rental and wonder about island bus service. Not looking for much other than a weekly trip to kona. Anyone know the bus frequency?

4 replies to this topic
LA
Level Contributor
10,106 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Local bus transportation

Hele-On bus service is very limited. It is oriented around getting workers to and from their hotel jobs at change of shift times:

heleonbus.org/schedules-and-maps/pahala-sout…

I would not want to spend 2 months in Captain Cook without a car.

Edited: 01 July 2013, 22:52
LA
Level Contributor
10,106 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Local bus transportation

There's also this schedule:

heleonbus.org/schedules-and-maps/kona-airpor…

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,866 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Local bus transportation

This is totally not a wise plan. There are only a few places on island where staying without a car would be feasible and even then not desirable. Captain Cook is certainly not one of them.

The bus schedule is what you see in the links Pareo has given you.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,895 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Local bus transportation

Are you familiar with the area? I only ask because there is really nothing to do within walking distance of the very small town of Captain Cook. No beaches, ocean entry, decent restaurants, historical sites. I can't imagine what one would do there without a car for even a day let alone a month or two. That was where I bought my first home in Hawaii and the first place I lived on the island so I'm pretty familiar with it.

Reply to: Local bus transportation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted