We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggested travel route to Volcano from Kohala

Which Captain Cook hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Caldwell, New Jersey
11 posts
Save Topic
Suggested travel route to Volcano from Kohala

We are staying in Kohala in August and will be going to Volcano area for 2 nights. I want to spend Mon and Tues night near Volcano area, we have not yet booked a place. I would to visit Hilo market on Wed, and we want to see the south of the island as well. Can you suggest a best route for us to take.

Thank you

3 replies to this topic
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
24,378 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggested travel route to Volcano from Kohala

There are lots and lots of topics on this. Basically you need at least one full day in VNP. Since you have two nights that will allow you take the most scenic route which is the Hamakua Coast, and make leisurely stops along the way.

Canada
Level Contributor
8,962 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggested travel route to Volcano from Kohala

Many folks feel the need to do both North and South routes...over to the East side. Personally, I don't see it.

I prefer North...up and back.......the route is different in each direction...believe it or not.

The fact that you wish to check out the Wednesday Hilo market after your 2 nights in Volcano, sort of suggests a (North) Hamakua route return over to the west side.

And.......I find the route going west to east....a bit more scenic.

So, my vote is Hamakua North up and back. If you want to jump down to Punalu'u Beach during your time in Volcano....that would work.

I just now notice this is posted on the Captain Cook forum....which is curious?? It matters not , however as most read at the Island, or State level.....

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
36,576 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggested travel route to Volcano from Kohala

Agree with both Shea and Wanderlust.

I have the same take on driving Hamakua as Wanderlust. Each direction is like a whole different drive. The scenery is better going east. It's a result of hugging a mountain and curving around it. Going west you mostly drive towards the mountain, and going east mountain is falling away to your right and there are panoramic ocean vistas. However, east to west is still very pretty due to the lush green.

The south is lava and desert once you reach the Ka'u district, although Na'alehu is a cute little village that is pleasingly behind the times. A lot of this route is blighted by volcanic fumes as far as trees go, fumes and low rainfall. The north is rainy but vividly green and deep ocean blue.

Reply to: Suggested travel route to Volcano from Kohala
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted