We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kealakekua Bay KAYAK

Barcelona
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Kealakekua Bay KAYAK

Is it possible to rent a kayak and do visit Kealakekua Bay by ourselves?. Or do we have to book a tour?.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kealakekua Bay KAYAK

My understanding is that people are no longer allowed to rent a kayak and paddle to Kealakekua bay by themselves.

We went with Kona Boys just 10 days ago. There were only 6 of us guests, and 2 guides. I think they said that they could take up to 12 people each tour.

The snorkeling at the bay was awesome!

Kona
Level Contributor
2,419 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kealakekua Bay KAYAK

You can rent a kayak from one of the operators who has a permit to do so (a limited number per day allowed), and paddle in the bay. But you cannot land the kayak anywhere - if you want to snorkel, you need to master the tricky art of climbing back into the kayak from the water. This prohibition

on landing kayaks is very strictly enforced.

If you want to land at Ka'awaloa (where the Captain Cook monument is located, you have to take a tour with one of the three operators permitted to do so. This state park web site has the list of permitted tours:

hawaiistateparks.org/parks/hawaii/index.cfm…

There is a another company that advertises Kealakekua Bay kayak tours, but be forewarned that their tours are not allowed to land at Ka'awaloa and they don't really make that clear in their advertising - so you'll want to use one of the three listed on the state park site.

Edited: 27 July 2014, 20:57
Barcelona
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kealakekua Bay KAYAK

Thank you! And how do I know if they have permit to rent them?

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,193 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kealakekua Bay KAYAK

Are you saying you want to rent and not be able to land? I do not recommend this option. Taking a tour with one of the three reputable and permitted Companies is advised to reduce impact on this overused bay.

Edited: 28 July 2014, 09:07
Encinitas...
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kealakekua Bay KAYAK

Has anyone actually obtained the permit by themselves?

6. Re: Kealakekua Bay KAYAK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2017, 05:16