We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places other than Hawaii

Jupiter, Florida
Level Contributor
149 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Places other than Hawaii

Aloha,

I live in Florida and have been to Hawaii on 6 occasions, having visited Maui (favorite), Kauai (close 2nd), and Oahu. I obviously love HI, but I want to ask people for suggestions on other islands or places in the world that stand out. I'm looking at islands or more singular, tropical places like HI. I know Spain, Italy, Greece, Thailand, etc are all spectacular, but what smaller places comes close in beauty? PS I can't afford Bora Bora... Thanks!

39 replies to this topic
Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
23,571 posts
Save Reply
31. Re: Places other than Hawaii

Aloha,

Makes perfect sense to me, Kafreena.

I hope you find another true love to add to Maui.

Aloha

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
40,159 posts
1,205 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Places other than Hawaii

SheaG,

That is great, and a godsend for the OP, but not something to be expected of boards for other places.

Yes, one might post to the NYC board, stating that they do not wish to visit NYC, but instead Detroit, Chicago, Nashville, and find those on the NYC board, who do know about those other cities.

I merely recommend posting to the appropriate boards, to get the input from those folk. I mean no disrespect to you, or to others, who DO know about all of those non-Hawaiian locations.

However "pompus" I might be, my intent was to point the OP to the other forums, for the questions.

Sorry to have ruffled any DE feathers.

Hunt

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,001 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Places other than Hawaii

<<"I merely recommend posting to the appropriate boards, to get the input from those folk.">>

Agree that that's the best method if you have certain places in mind, but the OP needed ideas first in order to do further research, per his question "...what smaller places comes close in beauty?"

Great question from the OP and an impressive list of answers from others here ... I've taken note of a few of those suggestions to look into for our future travels.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
40,159 posts
1,205 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Places other than Hawaii

Well, I would have made the same recommendation, had they posted to the Paris board, stating that they did not want to visit Paris, but wanted recs. on Brussels, Munich and Zurich. I still question the posting of a "do not want to go to Hawai`i" subject, onto the Hawai`i boards, but maybe I am just too dense to ever understand?

Hunt

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,001 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Places other than Hawaii

Bill,

The OP mentioned some destinations (Spain, Greece, Italy, Thailand) but he didn't sound interested in them and went on to ask about smaller places that come close in beauty to Hawaii. He needed recs for other places ... that's all :)

California
Level Contributor
9,562 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Places other than Hawaii

Check out Moorea Fare Miti. Very reasonable and on a gorgeous beach. If you love Hawaii, you'll love Moorea!

Port Orchard...
Level Contributor
67 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Places other than Hawaii

Hi, my name is Kevin and I live in washington state near Seattle. I just booked an 8 day holiday in the big island this coming January 12...will be my first time in Hawaii and prob my last...I am fortunate that I get to holiday 2-3 times a year.

Because I'm killing myself with overtime to afford all this travel I obviously have to be very prudent with my decisions on where I go....and while I'm sure I will love hawaii there is just too much other beauty, too many other cultures, too many other beaches to see and experience that I couldn't justify to myself to return to a place a second time...(not at all a rude comment on Hawaii- just someone who wants to see the whole world one island at a time and doing it on a law enforcement budget:)

You had asked about other destinations---I just returned(July 16-July 26) from a 10 day holiday in fiji....Fiji is about 6 more hours from you than me(so about 16 to 17 hour flight) but it offers a lot of what your looking for...

Lots of lush islands with natural granit waterslides and waterfalls...

Also Bonaire- while there are not a lot of white sandy beaches, the water itself is just absolutely stunning..I also did Turks and Caicos and Grace Bay is always voted one of the worlds prettiest beaches....and then Australia....

I have lots of you tube videos that I make of my trips that you can see some pics and video of the islands...

Soon I will be adding my video from the big island....

PS- I hope I didn't offend anyone by saying I prob won't be back- I haven't arrived yet but I'm sure I'll love it-

After Hawaii I have to come back and figure out how I'm gonna afford my July 2015 trip to Ningaloo Reef in Western Australia....

P.S.S- I love it when my fellow travelers talk about thier experinces and destinations they

Have visited...

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
26,596 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Places other than Hawaii

I completely understand where you're coming from, scubadiver. There aren't a lot of destinations I want to visit twice either. Of course when I visited Hawaii the first time, I thought it would be a one time thing - and now I've lived here for more than 15 years. I also thought my first trip to Tahiti would be my last and now I've been many times. So you just never know when a destination is going to grab you and not let go.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
412 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Places other than Hawaii

I haven't been to the Big Island yet, but I've been to Oahu, Kauai, and Maui and the places you mentioned enjoying. Since you are in Florida and the Caribbean is closer, I think you'd like St. John and St. Lucia for different reasons. St. John has cute little towns, lots of nature, and pool like perfectly clear water with fish and coral, great for snorkeling. It has a combo of resorts and house rentals so lots of options. When I visited St. Lucia with my friend some years back, we rented a jeep and drove from where we were staying through the mountains to another town. Easy to explore (though a little scary driving on twisty roads) - through a rainstorm in the thick of the jungle. Gorgeous pitons to view (or hike), jungle biking, lovely bays, and some history (canons/forts/etc.). We danced with locals and bought sorbet from a little stand in town. But we also spent one night at a fancy resort just because it was too far to drive back to our resort and they were so accommodating. So you can have fancy or you can have affordable there. I've never been to Grenada and Virgin Gorda, a couple I really want to try out someday...

If you can find good airfare to Tahiti, I also second everyone's recs for Moorea. It is less expensive than Bora Bora, more on par with Hawaii, and I feel like you get more for your money (at least I did for my ocean front bungalow on the beach with outdoor shower, seeing sting rays in the wild while snorkeling 3 feet from shore (15 feet from my bungalow, and delicious breakfast buffet practically on the water.) Quieter though.

Reply to: Places other than Hawaii
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted