We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island hopping

Det Michigan
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Island hopping

Hi this is my first trip to Hawaii and I wanted to know which is economically better to fly into? I want to take a flight to Maui ande Honolulu and stay a couple of nights, but when I try to put that in my expedia account it is very expensive. I will be going for 2 weeks in April and was thinking perhaps it's better to fly locally once were there to the other islands. If someone has done this before, please tell me what you recommend doing so that it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg just for flying. Thanks

3 replies to this topic
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,587 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Island hopping

Aloha! First, it would help if you posted this on the general Hawaii forum - you have posted on a subforum of the Big Island.

Most flights go thru Honolulu, on the island of Oahu, so it makes more sense to spend time in Oahu and then you book interisland to any other island - we use Hawaiian airlines for that. Sometimes you can book flying into Honolulu, and then directly out of the other ilalnd - in your case, Maui, but it all depends on the airlines you can use. Good luck! :)

Canada
Level Contributor
9,225 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Island hopping

Suggest you repost on the general" Hawaii" forum. You currently have this on"Hawi"...which is a tiny hamlet in North Kohala, Big Island.

You don't mention which weeks in April you intend to visit. Easter is in early April. Folks tend to book that time of year well in advance which possibly could be a reason you are seeing higher fares.

Use the actual Airline website i.e Delta, United.... Flying in and out of HNL usually offers greatest choice for schedules and pricing.

Inter-Island fares (Hawaiian Air) can add up.....sometimes it is beneficial to say fly into HNL and out of OGG....other times..Not.

Flying from Michigan to Hawaii is a considerable distance and the Airlines do tend to recognize that fact and charge accordingly.I would suspect that the fares will continue to climb as April is just around the corner...

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,602 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Island hopping

Depends on what you want to see/do. Most people are better off flying directly via LAX or SFO to their first island then one way to next island then one way home to keep you air fair to a minimum. When shopping for inter island flights look at different time of day can be less expensive during non peak travel time.

If thinking about the Big Island then 2 weeks you can easily burn up looping the island where as Kauai, Oahu, Maui can be explored easly in a week. Typically you can get better deals and more choices thru Honolulu but I hate the added airport time if flying to another island after flying all day.

Reply to: Island hopping
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hawi
Recent Conversations