We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surprise trip for mom's b-day

Which Hilo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
MI
1 post
Save Topic
Surprise trip for mom's b-day

I will be in Hilo for a conference Sept 17 - 20. My mom's birthday is the 17th and I was thinking about flying her out with me as a surprise.

The up side: since hotel will be reimbursed by the conference, that will save on cost. The down side: I'll be in meetings during the day (8am - 5pm) Mon - Thurs. I'll maybe extend our stay through Sat so I will be able to spend Fri & Sat days with my mom, and have a little vacation myself.

Any advice on what my mom can do while I'm busy in the conference? Will I need to rent her a car, or can she find things to do in the area (we're staying at the Castle Hilo)? Are there any sights we could see together after 5pm? What should I have her wait to see until I can be there (Fri & Sat)?

The conference is arranging a trip to VNP, the sunday before the meeting - so that will be covered already.

Thanks for your help!

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,374 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surprise trip for mom's b-day

how nice of you!

how old is your mom and what are her passions? Does she like driving or hiking by herself? Does she like flowers and plants (botanical gardens)? What about shopping? History? Nature?

Ideally she would have a car. About the only cool thing in easy walking distance of your hotel is Liliukalani Gardens, which is great but not for 4 days.

Hilo Farmers' Market is best in state and happens Wed and Sat. downtown. The downtown/bayfront is nice to walk around.

There are a few museums, see Hilo Attractions links and I think this web link will be very helpful to you (copy and paste the link)

http://www.gohawaii.com/big_island/learn/hilo

at the top of page it has a hilo map with clickable locations and a suggested itinerary. Let us know what looks like stuff she would enjoy and we can tell you more.

2. Re: Surprise trip for mom's b-day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 14:18