We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Hilo in August

Virginia
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Moving to Hilo in August

Aloha! My fiance and I are moving to Hilo in August and I just

wanted some honest local advice about what to expect. I've

been looking at apartments and jobs but know that you never

really know what to expect until you are standing right in front of

it. Are there any areas that I should be looking at or avoiding? How is the crime and job situation? My fiance will be attending the University so we would like to find a place near there if possible. It appears that a car is almost required on the island...are they expensive? I look foward to hearing from someone soon!

Mahalo,

Charles

Mentioned in this post
Hilo
Hilo
Island of Hawaii, HI
Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,465 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Moving to Hilo in August

tribal..... there is no diff in employment.... summer /spring s better than in fall as things swing with visitor season

On shippng your car.... a thing to note... the price for shipping the car is the car and nothing else... shiping rules will not permitt you to put anything in the car..... only a jack, and a spare tire..... the car must be totaly empty.... you cant use it to ship your stuff... that will have to go on other carries.

Check out rates with shippers it by the cubic/ weight. Ask for LCL rates ( less than container load). It will cost for a normal 2 bed condo, books, personal, clothes about 6 to $8000 A 3 bed home will run about 12K... one way Long Beach or San Francisco

there is a company called " Pac-Man" out of the SF Bay/ in Contra Costa County, area that does the best job they coordinate movers nation wide and shipping lines.... they do a come to your house pack it all up and then deliver it and un pack it in hawaii......... pretty cool

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Virginia
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Moving to Hilo in August

Very cool. I've checked into a few of the car shipping companies and read all their regulations so I think we're good on that. As for shipping other household possessions......we don't really have anything at this point so I'm not too worried. We have moved around so much to find our place that we have eliminated almost everything other than clothes. We were originally planning on trying out a whole new country all together so Hawaii is our next stop in that direction....and maybe the last one. I do know a few people that have used the shipping service and it had worked out fine though.

I am so appreciative of all the honest advice from all of you!

Keep it coming, as I can never know too much!

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,465 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Moving to Hilo in August

bring as much stuff as is comfortable....as you will find selection and price to be wanting

you have sears, Kmart and wall mart and costco. No bed& bath, staples, Dillards, and if you have favorite things or stuff bring it

We , ( me) bascal go twice a year to LA to get household and clothes.... the savings pays for the air fare and travel costs.

Shopping and Choiced is pretty bad and flying to Honolulu costs about as much in $ and Hassel as going to LA.... SO........thats what I do.

Its funny to go to a Safeway and find all the sour cream or cottage cheese gone off the shelves... and the clerk smiles and says next ship ..... we are supposed to get some.... same with Lowes and Home depot.

We reguard wall mart here as our Neiman Marcus

But on the other hand its Hawaii.... and if you have family here then you will dobetter. Without a support system here and coming cold... your going to be pretty depressed .

Mentioned in this post
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
carmel
Level Contributor
609 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Moving to Hilo in August

Aloha tribal, I think you will do fine in Hawaii. You sound to be very sensible and able to adjust . That is the problem with some new residents in the islands they want all the comforts of home and all the choices they had on the mainland. Relax and enjoy the geat new choices of foods and shopping. If you need all the things you had back home then you have missed the point of living in Hawaii.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Virginia
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: Moving to Hilo in August

hahaha..I am REALLY looking foward to the food! I love good food and being from Filipino and Japanese decent I especially have a love for food from the Pacific Islands... I have a lot of saving to do but I'm getting more excited everyday. =)

26. Re: Moving to Hilo in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

We're sorry - the TripAdvisor staff closed this topic because TripAdvisor does not facilitate discussions about relocation or real estate purchases because these topics are not considered to be travel-related.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2007, 13:38