We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in HIlo this week/next week

Which Hilo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, MA
6 posts
Save Topic
Staying in HIlo this week/next week

OK, So I have heard mix reviews about Hilo (vs. Kona- but we received a great deal we couldnt pass up-- and i like trying out new places!)... Im looking for some feedback!

- Are there places to go hang out near the water- weather it is a beach, a small patch of grass, etc? What's recommended?

-What towns near by have public beaches?

-What are the best hikes?

-What activities are recommended?

-Ok Ok about night life- I saw it depends what you're looking for. We are 3 couples late 20's, not looking for club life or anyhting like that, but just some places around Hilo AREA (NOT NECESSARILY IN HILO!) that we can grab dinner and some drinks for a relaxing trip-- that's all we are looking for!

- Rain: What's the deal, really? Should we expect a wash out -- or will it rain, then get sunny, etc? If we drive 20 minutes another direction, will it be sunny?

Thanks so much!!

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in HIlo this week/next week

Jackie33080,

Hilo is on a bay, so technically everywhere isn’t too far from water, it is an island after all! But I get what you mean. A few minutes north of town is a beach called Honoli’i which is one of the better surf spots on the island. Not a great swimming beach, but if you want to watch surfers if surf is up in the morning it is a very nice spot.

Going southeasterly from the junction of Kamehameha Ave and Kalanianaole out toward Keaukaha is Onekahakaha beach and Richardson’s.

Hilo has public beaches – such as the three above. There aren’t any really near by towns per se. However, about an hour away is Kapoho, which has tide pools, good snorkeling etc.

Your best bet for hikes: HVNP, also consider checking out the Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden – not really a hike, even the donkey trail, but lots of walking, gorgeous setting, beautiful flowers and of course Onomea Bay. Tip – go in the morning for the best light.

Activities: Tsunami museum, Imiloa Astronomy, Lyman Museum, Farmers Market (Wed/Sat), Rainbow, PeePee, Wai’ale Falls, and Boiling Pots. Helicopter tours over the volcano. Panaewa zoo. Catch a movie at Palace Theater. Road trip up the Hamakua Coast, seeing Akaka Falls, Laupahoehoe Point, Waipio Overlook, Tex’s Drive in for malasadas.

Nightlife: there are a couple of bars downtown, like Cronies and Restaurant Kaikodo.

Dining: search for an entire post of Hilo dining, many, many delicious local style places to eat.

Rain: yes it rains. A lot. No one is exaggerating when it comes to how much it can rain in Hilo. It can also be sunny. It can rain in the morning and be sunny and hot by 2 p.m. or it may be sunny with blue skies and puffy white clouds at 10 a.m. but POURING at 4 p.m. It can rain a week straight, WITH NO BREAKS. Rarely will rain change with 20 minutes of driving anywhere except toward the saddle. Otherwise, figure an hour or so for weather to drastically change. The BI has a wet side – the Hilo side – on the entire eastern seaboard. The dry side is actually about a third of the island, on the NW side of the island. Then the southern section of the island has miles of “desert” where rainfall is low enough to qualify a large section of Kau as a desert.

Rule of thumb in Hilo? Have a plan B in case it rains that involves another section of the island (see above) or being indoors (see activities).

Good luck and happy travels!

Boston, MA
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in HIlo this week/next week

Thank you very much for your input!!! I appreciate it! Plan B is great to know! What we could always do is do the sun fun thing if it looks great in the AM and then do an activity.

Thanks again!

3. Re: Staying in HIlo this week/next week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 17:18