We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shoes for volvanoes nat. park

Which Hilo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ma
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
shoes for volvanoes nat. park

Does anyone have recommendations for approprate footware for walking around Volcanoe Nat. Park?

I realize that sandals are not called for.

Thanks

Palm Springs...
Level Contributor
11,440 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: shoes for volvanoes nat. park

High top leather boots with double sox........lug soles

1 gallon of water per person per day

long pants... long sleve shirts, gloves, eye protection

rain parka . food; first aid kit; head lamp with spare batteries and bulb.......

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: shoes for volvanoes nat. park

Do you still need the long pants and gloves if you are *not* doing the lava hike? We're planning on doing the easier hikes within the park (i.e. Thurston Lava Tubes, etc.)

Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: shoes for volvanoes nat. park

Any good soled shoe is fine. We did it in sneakers.

We wore shorts and t-shirts everywhere. Yes, we even wore them at night on the lava walk.....with young-ish children. My dad (70 y.o.) had on long pants on the lava hike and fell (it's easy to do) and cut his knee pretty badly). One of my sons fell and also cut his knee really well. I fell (carrying a child on my back in the dark over the lava) and cut both my palms. BUT......the lava is so sharp (almost like glass) that it's one of those cuts that bleeds like crazy but doesn't actually hurt as much as you would think. Even my son who fell and I think he was about 8 at the time, didn't feel it hurt enough to cry. He and grandpa have nice souvenir "scars" now, though, on their knees!

Of course you're SUPPOSED to wear heavy hiking boots and long denim pants (anything less than denim won't protect you if you fall, as my dad found out) and heavy "work" type gloves, but the reality for us was we just simply weren't going to drag those all the way there and then WEAR them in the heat and humidity.

Any of the hikes in the "Upper" park part you will be fine with sneakers or "hiking" type of sandles (Keens, Chacos....). Do be aware that walking over the more gnarly looking lava will munch up the soles of your shoes. It's not the place for flip-flops or espadrilles.

I think it's more important to be savvy that it IS easy to fall because the terrain is uneven and often covered with loose "gravelly" lava. Pay attention to what you're doing and don't be in a rush. In the "Upper" park the trails are more like....well, TRAILS.....so the going is a fraction as rough as the lava hike by the coast.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,301 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: shoes for volvanoes nat. park

well, I am so used to wearing slippers that I would still wear them to drive around the circle and make stops. But anytime you're walking where you could bang your toes on lava, you want protection. Walking boots are better than athletic shoes; for one thing athletic shoes are pricey and lava is MEAN to shoes like that -- if you brush the tops against any a'a lava it'll tear em up.

I've gone through Thurston pushing a stroller; it's not a hike per se. The unlit part I haven't done because, duh, I never remember to bring a flashlight ... mental block. Bring a flashlight, and umbrella or hooded poncho.

Yes, you'll want long pants in the upper Park for warmth. The lava hike is at sea level and HOT -- there you want to cover your legs so you won't scratch and gash them, but in the main park, the wind can be biting. I'm acclimated to the warmer temps now and I can't handle the Park, must get in long pants and sweater as soon as I arrive and am reminded it really can get nippy here. If you're from a cold clime you may be fine in shorts.

Any time you hike a trail you should have the leg protection.

Gloves? Yes if you're on a trail where you stand a good chance of stumbling. Lava hike, absolutely. Devastation trail, I don't think so. I've not done the crater hikes; I wouldn't be able to breathe (I have asthma), so can't help you there.

Dan's advice is excellent and don't forget that water he advises.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,301 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: shoes for volvanoes nat. park

replying to dr. Debi, whose post wasn't up when I started my prior ramble ...

I agree with most you said, good point that the paths are easy to walk. The lava terrain is so inhospitable that they have to make trails -- with heavy equipment I imagine -- so it's then like a walking road. Not like dirt trails on the mainland that are created by people passing over the terrain.

About those cuts -- they may not seem like a big deal, but one really is taking a chance on an infection going in swimming with a gash or other wound ... most people here will want to be in the water and not waiting for a cut to heal. Point being, it's worth being careful and avoiding getting cut.

Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
1,926 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: shoes for volvanoes nat. park

Most of the trails are indeed "TRAILS". They pose no more risk to you than any other trail. Oh, except for the bees we always seem to encounter on the Devastation Trail! The lava hike is another thing because you're basically blazing your own trail. But it doesn't sound like you are doing that one.

We're from Michigan, so if you put me in jeans out there.....you might as well just stand back and watch me melt! =)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,004 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: shoes for volvanoes nat. park

I know it's not recommended, but we always have used our running shoes. I have funny feet or something but no matter how carefully the REI person fits hiking boots they end up giving me blisters, my NB never do. Plus they have more chshioning for my knees. Yes, they can get cut up but so be it.

Note: this is not for the "over the lava to the flow" type hike--this is for Kilauea Iki type hikes.

8. Re: shoes for volvanoes nat. park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 02:18