We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can we all of this in one day?

Tennessee
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Can we all of this in one day?

We are thinking about taking a day trip from Maui to the Big Island and renting a car. I have no idea the distance involved form point A to point B so I'm hoping you all can help me. Is it possible to visit VNP and do Hilo in one day and fly back to Maui that night? Do you go thru Kona? Should we rent a car and do it ourselves or should we hire a guide? Everyone wants to do VNP, and my husband and I would like to visit Hilo. We're huge MMA fans and would especially like to see BJ Penn's training camp. He's talked about how beautiful Hilo is and if we're able to visit the Big Island we would like to see the town and hopefully BJ!! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4,236 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can we all of this in one day?

Aloha

You will want to fly into Hilo and not Kona, that will save you lots of time. There are inter-island flights between Maui to Hilo.

I really do not think you will be able to do justice to both places in the same day. I would either pick one OR spend one night.

You will not need a guide for VNP, it is very easy to self tour with the information you get when you come in through the gate, it is jokingly called the "drive through" volcano. There is also a very nice visitors center and helpful rangers should you have any questions.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can we all of this in one day?

Yes, you can do it all in one day but you will be missing a lot.

It takes about an hour to get from the airport to the HVNP. To just do the crater rim drive, VC etc figure on at least 2 – 3 hours, with no hikes and not a lot of time spent exploring.

Check out the website to figure out what you want to see and do while in the park.

No need for a guide.

As for BJ Penn his dojo is downtown, on Kinoole. Should not be hard to find, it isn’t a camp, I think. I think it is just a gym, with work out equipment, health equipment and of course a MMA area with a ring and mats, bags etc.

There are a lot of things to see and do in Hilo and all of them add up in time. It can be done but must be planned carefully, and you must know you will not be able to see everything.

Good luck and happy travels!

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,857 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can we all of this in one day?

I hate to tell you this, but a day trip from Maui to BI (Hilo) is going to be a lot of time spent in the air since there are very few direct flights from Kahului (OGG) to Hilo (ITO) and back so you will be connecting in Honolulu. This would take about 2 hours of travel time versus direct flight of about 40 minutes.

I have checked this before myself and found a day trip not worth while for DH and I, so we stayed over a few nights to visit both Hilo and VNP. We still did not see everything, but at least we got the highlights. But you best judge for yourselves.

I used Hawaiian Air for this information since I like flying them. To maximize your time in Hilo, you would take the 6:25 AM out of OGG arriving in ITO at 8:36. The latest flight out of ITO that gets you back to OGG is the 6:50 PM arriving OGG at 8:52. Long day, but really only gives you a little over 8 hours in Hilo and VNP since you have to figure in time to do the car rental. VNP is about 45 minutes drive from Hilo, so after round trip between VNP and Hilo you are down to about 6.5 hours for sight seeing and lunch.

You will not go through Kona; it is over 2 hours drive between Kona and Hilo one way.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,550 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can we all of this in one day?

It really is a pain to fly through HNL and spend so much of your day flying and in airport.

There is right now ONE non-stop OGG to ITO (Kahalui to Hilo) at 9:05 am on Hawaiian. None on Aloha. Didn't check GO!

The only non-stop return is the following morning, probably not so useful, as you would want more time if you did spend the night.

Unfortunately, there's only one island from which it makes a lot of sense to fly a day trip, and that's Oahu. One would think Maui, the next door neighbor, would be a piece of cake, but not so.

You've gotten plenty good advice as to how long it takes to see what you want, concluding with "stay the night if you want to see Hilo" and I would agree.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,630 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can we all of this in one day?

looks like go has a non stop early in the morning, at least in mid november (6:25 a.m)

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,630 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can we all of this in one day?

never mind, read their site wrong!

7. Re: Can we all of this in one day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 09:16